Charlton Athletic 1, Norwich City 1

David Cuffley Substitute Arturo Lupoli was the man who came in from the cold to earn Norwich City an FA Cup third round replay with a second half equaliser against Charlton Athletic at The Valley. The Italian striker had been on the field just eight minutes as a replacement for Darel Russell when he tucked home a left-foot shot to round off one of the Canaries’ better moves of the afternoon.

David Cuffley

Substitute Arturo Lupoli was the man who came in from the cold to earn Norwich City an FA Cup third round replay with a second half equaliser against Charlton Athletic at The Valley.

The Italian striker had been on the field just eight minutes as a replacement for Darel Russell when he tucked home a left-foot shot to round off one of the Canaries' better moves of the afternoon.

Charlton had taken the lead after 20 minutes when 16-year-old Jonjo Shelvey became the youngest scorer in the club's history with a splendid finish from the edge of the penalty area.

Goalkeeper David Marshall kept Norwich in contention with some important saves, two of them from Deon Burton, and Glenn Roeder's men looked better in the second half after the introduction of Wes Hoolahan and then Lupoli, whose future with City has been in doubt because of his lack of first team opportunities.

City's 3,000 travelling fans now have a replay to look forward to at Carrow Road on Tuesday, January 13, when the two sides will meet for the third time in less than a month.

Most Read

The City line-up showed four changes to the 11 who started last Sunday's Championship home defeat by Nottingham Forest.

There were recalls for skipper Mark Fotheringham, who shrugged off an ankle injury he suffered in training on Thursday, as well as defender Adam Drury, midfielder Darel Russell and French forward Anton Sibierski, who was given permission to play by Wigan manager Steve Bruce.

Jon Otsemobor and Wes Hoolahan were relegated to the bench, while there was no place in the 18 for David Bell.

The other absentee from the Forest game was striker Leroy Lita, who had returned to Reading after his loan spell.

There was a surprise among the substitutes for City with Simon Lappin recalled to senior duty for the first time in 12 months, and 17-year-old Korey Smith was also among the seven players on the bench.

The Canaries were wearing a replica of their 1959 kit as a tribute to the giant-killing team which reached the FA Cup semi-final 50 years ago, with yellow shirts and black shorts.

The players were numbered from one to 11 and there were no sponsors' logos on the shirts.

Charlton made three changes to the team beaten 3-1 at Sheffield United last Sunday.

Fullback Jay McEveley, on loan from Derby, was not given permission to play while defender Mark Cranie had returned to Portsmouth after his loan spell. Centre-back Mark Hudson was also missing so into the side came Jose Semedo, Jonjo Shelvey and Yassin Moutaouakil.

The game survived a lunchtime pitch inspection after a frosty start to the day and the surface looked in pretty good condition. City were backed by some 3,000 fans, packed behind the goal Charlton were defending in the first half, but there were huge spaces in the rest of the stadium.

Charlton skipper Holland, the former Ipswich captain, was playing in the centre of defence and with three minutes gone he took a free-kick on halfway and aimed it towards the penalty spot, but Doherty was able to head clear.

As Charlton pressed again, Bouazza crossed from the left but this time Bertrand was in the way.

Drury, playing alongside Doherty in the centre of defence, made a timely tackle on Shelvey to halt another attack but with six minutes gone, Croft was forced to concede the first corner.

Basey played a one-two from the flag-kick and although his initial cross was cut out, the home side regained possession and Sam fired over the top as the Canaries struggled to get the ball away.

Croft earned City their first corner after eight minutes and Pattison took a long time to decide what to do with the flag-kick, but when he curled it into the goalmouth, Fortune headed clear.

Another cross by Croft was cut out by Holland but with 12 minutes gone, the winger won a second corner for the Canaries. Pattison played a one-two from the corner with Croft and set off across the edge of the Charlton area, trying to make room for a shot but it was blocked and the dead ball opportunity was rather wasted.

At the other end Bouazza attempted a left-foot shot from outside the box but it struck Bertrand and went out for a goal-kick.

A moment's hesitation between Drury and Marshall gave City one moment of alarm and when Drury finally cleared from close to the byline, the ball reached Basey, whose cross to the near post Marshall gathered cleanly.

A foul by Bouazza on Croft gave the Canaries a free-kick close to the right-hand corner flag. They took it too quickly and referee Tanner ordered a retake, Pattison swinging the kick towards the far post where Drury came in for the header but a deflection took the ball out for City's third corner.

Clingan took an inswinger to the near post, but keeper Elliot was able to punch clear.

With nearly 20 minutes gone, the home side took the lead with a superb finish by Shelvey. Omozusi misjudged a long through ball, enabling Bouazza to get behind him and he swung a centre to the edge of the area where Shelvey met it with a first-time shot that fairly flew past Marshall.

City won another corner as they looked for an instant reply but Clingan's kick was cleared by Basey and as the Canaries battled to regain possession, they conceded a free-kick close to the corner flag, enabling Charlton to reorganise.

There was a holdup while Drury needed treatment just inside the Norwich half after a bang in the face from Burton.

Drury took another knock when play resumed in a challenge from Shelvey, who, not yet 17, had just become the youngest goal scorer in Charlton's history.

Sibierski had a shot blocked inside the Charlton area after 26 minutes, but up to now City had not given their big following a great deal to shout about.

Russell, paired in attack with Sibierski, tried to find Croft with a raking diagonal pass but the winger was unable to keep the ball in play.

City were handed another corner, however, thanks to an awful slice by Elliot, but Pattison's kick was over-hit and although Russell got his head to it, the ball drifted behind for a goal-kick.

With more than half an hour gone, it had not been the greatest of spectacles but with a better final ball, City could have had something to show for their efforts and the home side had not really threatened too much since the goal.

A few chants of “Roeder sort it out” went up as the visiting fans began to show their frustration.

Fotheringham almost provided Sibierski with the opportunity to give them something to shout about, but his cross towards the far post was headed away by Fortune for yet another corner. Clingan's kick came to nothing, however, and another dead ball situation had been wasted.

Seven minutes before the break, Charlton did squander a good opening when Burton broke away on the left and found Bouazza, whose shot from a narrow angle went out off Bertrand for a corner.

The flag-kick reached Burton and his header was goal-bound before Marshall managed to tip it on to the crossbar.

It was certainly a warning to Norwich, who could ill afford to concede a second goal before the interval.

Some excellent work by Croft earned City their seventh corner when Fortune headed clear from his cross. Pattison's kick was flicked on by Sibierski but once again Charlton were able to clear their lines.

Omozusi did well to cut out a centre from Semedo which reached the six-year box as the home side looked to extend their lead.

Norwich were awarded a free-kick midway into the Charlton half two minutes from the interval. Clingan aimed for Doherty, but the centre-half's header lacked power as he was off balance and again the opportunity had gone.

The home side came desperately close to scoring a second in the final minute of the half when Shelvey found Sam and his low cross whistled across the face of the goal where Bailey and Shelvey were both a matter of inches away from knocking the ball into an unguarded net.

t Half-time: Charlton Athletic 1, Norwich City 0

Roeder made two changes at the interval with Otsemobor on at right-back in place of Omozusi and Hoolahan playing on the left instead of Pattison.

A foul by Semedo on Clingan gave the Canaries an early free-kick after the break, but they wasted it and as the hosts counter attacked, Drury was booked for a foul on Burton.

Goal scorer Shelvey tried his luck with a swerving, long-range effort but it was fairly ambitious and Marshall collected it easily.

Four minutes after the break, City at last fashioned a worthwhile attempt on goal when a cross from Croft was nodded back by Sibierski and Hoolahan, slightly off balance, hooked his shot just past the post.

Marshall was called into action twice in the space of a minute when he managed to keep out a deflected shot from Fortune at the expense of a corner and then, when the flag-kick was cleared, he dived low to saw from Bouazza.

Marshall produced another crucial save after Burton managed to get behind Drury and fire low across the face of the goal.

Hoolahan, twisting and turning just outside the Charlton area, managed to create enough space for a shot but his curling, left-foot effort was just the wrong side of the post.

Hoolahan then tried to find Sibierski when he floated a through ball in the direction of the Frenchman, but the flag was up for offside, possibly against Russell.

Ten minutes into the half, City seemed fortunate to be awarded a corner as Croft was challenged by Basey but in any case, the referee blew for an infringement when Hoolahan's inswinging kick reached the six-yard box.

The visitors mustered another shot at goal after 58 minutes when Russell controlled a pass from Otsemobor and turned neatly but his left-foot shot lacked real power and was just wide of the target.

A determined run by Moutaouakil earned Charlton another corner on the hour. Shelvey's kick was headed clear by Doherty and Bailey followed up with a header but it gave Marshall no trouble.

Sam struck a powerful right-foot shot over the bar as Charlton pressed again and City made their final change with 63 minutes gone when Lupoli was sent on in place of Russell.

Lupoli's introduction gave him a rare chance to show what he could do in Roeder's first team but with a quarter of the match remaining, the Canaries were struggling to turn a reasonable amount of possession into anything like clear-cut chances.

Burton fired well wide with a fairly ambitious effort as the hosts broke forward, but the game had become fairly quiet at this stage with little excitement in either goalmouth.

With 71 minutes gone, however, the substitute did the trick for the Canaries with his fifth goal of the season from a beautifully worked move.

Otsemobor and Hoolahan worked the ball neatly on the right side of the penalty area and fed it through to Fotheringham, who in turn found Lupoli, who made himself enough space to squeeze a low, left-foot shot past Elliot for the equaliser.

City threatened again when Fotheringham again found Lupoli and the Italian shot into the side netting but the flag was up for offside.

With 15 minutes to go Charlton made their first change with striker Burton making way for defender Youga.

Suddenly it was Charlton who were beginning to look uncertain and with the Norwich fans in good voice, the players had taken a lot of encouragement from their equaliser.

A foul on Hoolahan gave City a free-kick about 10-yards outside the Charlton area and when Hoolahan tapped it to Clingan, his powerful shot took a deflection of Semedo for Norwich's ninth corner.

Hoolahan played it short to Clingan before taking a return pass but his attempt to squeeze a cross past Elliot at the near post was unsuccessful.

Bertrand needed attention for a knock and before play resumed, Charlton made another change with Dickson sent on in place of the goal scorer, Shelvey.

The hosts were awarded a free-kick when Sam was fouled and when the ball was played to Moutaouakil, Bertrand had to cut out the fullback's centre at the expense of a corner. Otsemobor was back, however, to head clear from Basey's kick.

There was a bit of an escape for City when Dickson got the better of Doherty and sent a cross whizzing across the six-yard box but Bouazza was unable to apply the finishing touch.

With five minutes to go Lupoli was very close to snatching a second goal when Croft and Sibierski combined neatly to put him through but he poked his shot just the wrong side of the post.

As play entered stoppage time, the fourth official signalled an additional three minutes to be played for either side to try to snatch a winner.

There were late appeals for hand-ball against Drury in the Norwich area, but referee Tanner waved aside Charlton's claims for a penalty.

t Result: Charlton Athletic 1, Norwich City 1

t Charlton Athletic: Elliot, Moutaouakil, Fortune, Holland, Basey, Sam, Shelvey, Semedo, Bailey, Bouazza, Burton

Subs: Randolph, Youga, Todorov, Wright, Wagstaff, Dickson, McLeod

t Norwich City: Marshall, Omozusi, Doherty, Drury, Bertrand, Croft, Fotheringham, Clingan, Pattison, Russell, Sibierski

Subs: Nelson, Otsemobor, Hoolahan, Lupoli, Lappin, Smith, Cort

Referee: Steve Tanner (Somerset)