RECAP: Young Canaries beaten by Cheltenham in EFL Trophy group decider
- Credit: Focus Images/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s development squad returned to EFL Trophy action this evening and were beaten 1-0 by League Two side Cheltenham Town, as the top two in Southern Group F settled who finished first, with progress already secured.
Both the Canaries’ U21s and the Robins have won their other two games, against Plymouth and Newport, so going into the final group game both teams know victory will ensure top spot and being seeded in the regionalised draw for the first knockout stage.
While the City youngsters have a goal difference which is three superior to Cheltenham’s, a draw wouldn’t necessarily be enough to secure top spot as the game would then go to a penalty shoot-out without the need for extra-time, with the winner claiming a bonus point.
Victory would ensure a home tie in the second round and seeding in the draw, to guarantee a tie against one of the Southern group runner-ups, aside from the group they have qualified from.
The hosts sit sixth in the League Two table after a strong start to the season and progress to the second round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 win over non-league South Shields on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
- You can keep up to date with events from Whaddon Road above
- 1 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 2 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 8 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
- 9 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 10 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits