Injury blow as Norwich City defender looks set to miss Premier League kick-off
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City centre-back Christoph Zimmermann is set to miss the start of the season, after undergoing knee surgery last week.
The 26-year-old defender, who skippered the Canaries for most of their Championship title-winning adventure last season, faces four to six weeks on the sidelines after undergoing knee surgery in London last week to repair a medial meniscus tear in his left knee.
Daniel Farke's City squad returned to Colney on July 1 for pre-season testing, before commencing training two days later. The Canaries confirmed Zimmermann suffered the injury during the off-season.
The news comes less than 24 hours after Norwich City revealed Zimmermann's new four-year deal, making him the latest of the club's successes from last season to extend their Canaries commitment.
City kick-off their Premier League return at Anfield against Liverpool on Friday, August 9 - little more than four weeks away. Norwich then host Newcastle and Chelsea, by which time the club will be hoping Zimmermann - a man with proven natural fitness - will be back and available; albeit he will now miss the entirety of pre-season.
You may also want to watch:
Zimmermann's absence will leave Farke calling on Grant Hanley, Timm Klose and Ben Godfrey through pre-season, hoping they all emerge available for when the competitive action begins.
- For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 4 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 7 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto