City announce signing of Belgium U21 centre-back Bushiri
- Credit: Norwich City FC
Belgium Under-21 international defender Rocky Bushiri has joined Norwich City’s under-23 squad.
The 19-year-old was reportedly close to joining the Canaries at the weekend when Brussels-based newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws reported that a deal worth around 100,000 euros was imminent.
That has now been confirmed and City have announced that the young talent will initially join up with the club's under-23 development squad, having signed a four-year contract.
Bushiri made eight appearances for parent club KV Oostende in the Belgian top flight during 2017-18 but then joined another top-tier team, KAS Eupen, and made 33 appearances in all competitions last season.
The defender has five caps at U21 level and was in the Belgium squad at the European U21 Championship in Italy and San Marino last month, playing all of a 3-1 defeat to Italy after the first two group games had been lost to prevent progress to the knockout stages.
Bushiri signed his first professional contract with Oostende in 2017, which was due to expire this summer.
You may also want to watch:
He took to Instagram to say: "I am absolutely delighted to join Norwich City. This is a dream come true for me. Now it's up to me to make sure I repay the confidence that the club has shown in me. I will do everything to achieve the goals we have set together for the years to come.
"I am also looking forward to discovering another country and another culture. Thank you all."
He becomes the second Belgian youth international to join City this week, following on from 17-year-old left-back Rob Nizet also joining up with the U23 squad from Anderlecht.
Belgium U19 winger Dylan Mbayo has also been linked, with Wolves and Hannover among the other clubs said to be rivalling the Canaries for his signature.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 4 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 5 Rupp set for FA Cup recall
- 6 Robin Sainty: Farke has taken City to a whole new level
- 7 Ton up Tim is wonderful for Farke
- 8 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 9 Barnsley v Norwich City in the FA Cup - all you need to know
- 10 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup