City are told to back off

David Cuffley A second Norwich City raid on Nottingham Forest looked improbable today after striker Nathan Tyson was told he would be going nowhere. The Canaries, who snapped up midfielder Sammy Clingan on a free transfer from the City Ground last week, have been linked more than once with the 26-year-old Tyson, who scored 12 goals last season as Forest won promotion from League One.

David Cuffley

A second Norwich City raid on Nottingham Forest looked improbable today after striker Nathan Tyson was told he would be going nowhere.

The Canaries, who snapped up midfielder Sammy Clingan on a free transfer from the City Ground last week, have been linked more than once with the 26-year-old Tyson, who scored 12 goals last season as Forest won promotion from League One.

But if there is any interest from Carrow Road - and a £750,000 bid from Bristol City has already been rejected - the Midlands club will not encourage it. They insist the player is not for sale at any price.


You may also want to watch:


“Nathan Tyson is going nowhere, he is a big part of what we are trying to build for the future,” said Forest chief executive Mark Arthur.

Tyson has a year to go on his contract and could become available next summer for nothing, but negotiations on a new deal with the former Reading and Wycombe player have come to nothing. Further talks are planned.

Most Read

City boss Glenn Roeder needs to strengthen his striking options with only last season's top scorer, Jamie Cureton, and 19-year-old Chris Martin left from last term's senior squad after the retirement of Dion Dublin, the release of Darren Huckerby and the return to Manchester City of on-loan Ched Evans.

Roeder has seen one potential target move elsewhere after Scunthorpe's Martin Paterson joined Burnley yesterday in a £1m-plus deal.

And the Shola Ameobi saga may finally be edging to a close with the Newcastle striker poised to join newly-promoted West Bromwich Albion in a reported £2.5m deal, although that could still hinge on whether veteran Kevin Phillips decides to stay at The Hawthorns.

Phillips - who played at Watford under Roeder - wants a two-year deal but has been offered just one year by boss Tony Mowbray.

Roeder suggested on Friday that he was close to adding at least one new face to his squad and hoped to have three or four by the time the players return to training next week.

City chief executive Neil Doncaster said nothing was imminent today but added: “We are waiting on the co-operation of a number of people.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus