City can return to contact training after unanimous Premier League vote
- Credit: Jason Dawson
Norwich City’s players will soon be returning to full contact training, after Premier League clubs unanimously voted through the next stage of the Return to Training Protocol.
Top-flight clubs had returned to training in small groups from last Tuesday, with social distancing remaining in place and stringent hygiene regulations to be followed.
That unanimous vote on stage one has now been followed by stage two being given the green light, amid continued work to resume the suspended season behind closed doors next month, which has been approved as part of the government’s national recovery from the coronavirus pandemic.
The Premier League has released a statement this afternoon, which says: “Premier League shareholders today voted unanimously to resume contact training, marking another step towards restarting the Premier League season, when safe to do so.
“Squads are now able to train as a group and engage in tackling while minimising any unnecessary close contact.
You may also want to watch:
“The Premier League’s priority is the health and wellbeing of all participants.
“Strict medical protocols are in place to ensure the training ground is the safest environment possible and players and staff will continue to be tested for COVID-19 twice a week.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 5 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 6 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 9 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
“Stage Two of the Return to Training protocol has been agreed following consultation with clubs, players, managers, the PFA, LMA and the Government.
“Discussions are ongoing as work continues towards resuming the season, when conditions allow.”
The vote precedes today’s announcement of the next set of Covid-19 tests, which have so far returned 99.5pc as negative results.
While another Premier League shareholders’ meeting is due to be held tomorrow, to determine the finer details of Project Restart, including a restart date, which had initially been expected to be June 12.
- You can watch City’s initial return to team training last week in the video above