‘He’ll always be welcome back at Carrow Road’ – City director confirms legend’s exit
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have confirmed the departure of Under-23 coach and playing legend Darren Huckerby.
As we reported first on Wednesday night, Huckerby is one of five exits at Colney, as City look to both improve the player production of their EPPP category one academy and chase making it more efficient.
“Firstly, I want to thank Darren for his professionalism throughout his time here,” said City sporting director Stuart Webber.
“We have done an internal review of the Academy and this includes having to make difficult decisions. This was among those difficult decisions.
“Darren will always be considered a legend at this club and he leaves with not only our best wishes, but the knowledge that he will always be welcome at Carrow Road.”
Fans’ favourite Huckerby worked his way through coaching the under-16 and under-18 squads at Colney, before taking on the role of assisting Matt Gill’s under-23 development squad in the summer.
You may also want to watch:
His is the only exit confirmed so far – although we understand first-team head physio Stuart Wardle plus the academy’s head of recruitment Greg Broughton and head of coaching Phil Church have also left the club, along with a fifth position.
Up to 20 academy jobs have been reviewed by the club, a process which started before new academy head Steve Weaver’s arrival. It is believed there are plans to replace the five departures.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes