Notable names missing as City confirm U23 pre-season plans
- Credit: Norwich City FC
Norwich City have confirmed their travelling under-23 squad before flying out to Germany for a pre-season training camp on Friday.
The U23s will only play one friendly while City are based in the North Rhine-Westphalia region - and it clashes with one of the first team games.
David Wright's development squad will take on Lippstadt, the former club of Canaries head coach Daniel Farke, at the fourth-tier club's Liebelt Arena on Friday, July 19 at 6pm UK time (7pm local time).
City's first team face Bundesliga side Schalke in a game which kicks off half-an-hour earlier, 90 minutes north in the town of Lotte.
There are some notable names missing from the squad list though, including goalkeeper Aston Oxborough, recent signing Rocky Bushiri, fellow defender Timi Odusina, another new boy in midfielder Charlie Gilmour and striker Anthony Spyrou.
You may also want to watch:
It's not yet known whether those players are training with other clubs ahead of potential loan moves or whether they will be part of the senior squad, which will fly out on Friday.
Spyrou finished last season in the National League with Wrexham and it's understood City are keen to get some of their new U23 signings straight into loan action at good levels.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 4 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 5 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 8 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 9 City keeper issues injury update
- 10 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
Oxborough did provide cover for three Championship games last season and is expected to go out on loan, with Farke already having Tim Krul, loan signing Ralf Fahrmann and Michael McGovern as senior goalkeeper options.
There is also a trialist included in the squad, Miguel Mussel Quintais, a 20-year-old Portuguese forward who was with Belgian club KAS Eupen last season - where Belgium U21 defender Bushiri was on loan from Oostende, with former France and Real Madrid midfielder Claude Makelele their manager.
When the U23s return to England they have an away game against Colchester United U23s on Tuesday, July 23 (1pm) and will be part of a Norwich City XI which faces League Two side Leyton Orient on Saturday, July 27 - where profits raised will go towards the Justin Edinburgh 3 Foundation, in memory of the O's manager who passed away recently.
A trip to Derby County U23s on Tuesday, July 30 (1pm) follows before pre-season concludes overseas, against Dutch second-tier side Dordrecht on Saturday, August 3 (3pm).
NCFC U23s' travelling squad: Archie Mair (GK), Billy Johnson (GK), Rob Nizet, Jordan Thomas, Louis Lomas, Akin Famewo, Isak Thorvaldsson, Saul Milovanovic, Dan Adshead, Tom Scully, Alfie Payne, William Hondermarck, Gassan Ahadme, Miguel Mussel Quintais (trialist), Shae Hutchinson, Aidan Fitzpatrick