He’s priceless – Norwich City fans react to speculation linking Benfica with Teemu Pukki
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Benfica may like the idea of signing Teemu Pukki – but to Norwich City fans, their star striker is priceless.
Reports in Portugal suggested the 2019 Liga Nos champions had earmarked the Canaries' player of last season as an option to refresh their forward options during the summer transfer window - although Portuguese sportspaper A Bola added that Benfica expected it would be hard to prise the Finland international out of the Premier League club.
And that sentiment was backed by Norwich City supporters - 45pc of them in our Thursday poll labelling the Championship's golden boot winner as "priceless" to Daniel Farke's top-flight Canaries. In fact, 93pc of more than 1,300 voters would want more than £15m for a striker that arrived at Carrow Road as a free agent just 12 months ago - an initial figure in excess of Benfica's reported budget for a new forward.
Despite City's season ending more than a month ago, Pukki is currently preparing for international duty with Finland - and his club success was not far from his media agenda.
"Playing in the Premier League is a personal fulfilment for me," said Pukki. "I've been playing quite a long time in many countries - Finland, Germany, Spain, Scotland and most recently in Denmark - but I'm really excited about the chance to play at the biggest stadiums in the Premier League, which for me is the most important league.
You may also want to watch:
"It has been the most important decision in my career (joining Norwich), when I think about what has been achieved now. Norwich fans have been incredible. This has been like a family."
- For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 5 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 6 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 7 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 8 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- 10 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion