He’s priceless – Norwich City fans react to speculation linking Benfica with Teemu Pukki
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Benfica may like the idea of signing Teemu Pukki – but to Norwich City fans, their star striker is priceless.
Reports in Portugal suggested the 2019 Liga Nos champions had earmarked the Canaries' player of last season as an option to refresh their forward options during the summer transfer window - although Portuguese sportspaper A Bola added that Benfica expected it would be hard to prise the Finland international out of the Premier League club.
And that sentiment was backed by Norwich City supporters - 45pc of them in our Thursday poll labelling the Championship's golden boot winner as "priceless" to Daniel Farke's top-flight Canaries. In fact, 93pc of more than 1,300 voters would want more than £15m for a striker that arrived at Carrow Road as a free agent just 12 months ago - an initial figure in excess of Benfica's reported budget for a new forward.
Despite City's season ending more than a month ago, Pukki is currently preparing for international duty with Finland - and his club success was not far from his media agenda.
"Playing in the Premier League is a personal fulfilment for me," said Pukki. "I've been playing quite a long time in many countries - Finland, Germany, Spain, Scotland and most recently in Denmark - but I'm really excited about the chance to play at the biggest stadiums in the Premier League, which for me is the most important league.
You may also want to watch:
"It has been the most important decision in my career (joining Norwich), when I think about what has been achieved now. Norwich fans have been incredible. This has been like a family."
- For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 10 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City