City Ladies beat spirited Acle to retain cup
- Credit: Archant
Acle Ladies 1, Norwich City Ladies 6
Norwich lifted the Norfolk Women’s Cup for the third season in a row after seeing off a spirited challenge from lower-league Acle.
An even first half ended 2-1 to City after Anna Larkins and Kate Parsons had netted, followed by a sublime free-kick by Jenna Thurtle to pull one back for Acle.
But the South-East Combination team’s greater experience and fitness told in the second half with Vicki Stephens and Nadine Basson both scoring twice, and Acle having to bravely defend other efforts.
Player of the match was City’s Vicki Stephens.
You may also want to watch:
City manager Emma Fletcher said after the game: “I’m proud of the girls and the effort they put in, and so happy to have retained the cup. We had to work hard for it - Acle came with a game plan.
“We love this competition, and we love competing in it. It’s great to get some silverware and we can add this to what has been an incredible season for the club.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Leeds also interested in Gunn
- 2 City ace left out of Euro 2020 opener
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
- 4 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 5 ‘Definitely was not easy’ - City striker on distressing win
- 6 A-Z: Time for a clear-out at Burnley?
- 7 David Freezer: Perfect transfer strategy key to City's self-funded survival model
- 8 Norwich City fans get kit help as Pukkimania sparks dash for Euros shirt
- 9 Left-back seals permanent Canaries exit
- 10 WINDOW WATCH: The latest City transfer news and views
“We will enjoy today – and then plan our last three league games and hope to get a top-three finish.”