City Ladies beat spirited Acle to retain cup
- Credit: Archant
Acle Ladies 1, Norwich City Ladies 6
Norwich lifted the Norfolk Women’s Cup for the third season in a row after seeing off a spirited challenge from lower-league Acle.
An even first half ended 2-1 to City after Anna Larkins and Kate Parsons had netted, followed by a sublime free-kick by Jenna Thurtle to pull one back for Acle.
But the South-East Combination team’s greater experience and fitness told in the second half with Vicki Stephens and Nadine Basson both scoring twice, and Acle having to bravely defend other efforts.
Player of the match was City’s Vicki Stephens.
You may also want to watch:
City manager Emma Fletcher said after the game: “I’m proud of the girls and the effort they put in, and so happy to have retained the cup. We had to work hard for it - Acle came with a game plan.
“We love this competition, and we love competing in it. It’s great to get some silverware and we can add this to what has been an incredible season for the club.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 5 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 6 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 7 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 8 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- 10 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion
“We will enjoy today – and then plan our last three league games and hope to get a top-three finish.”