City Ladies beat spirited Acle to retain cup
- Credit: Archant
Acle Ladies 1, Norwich City Ladies 6
Norwich lifted the Norfolk Women’s Cup for the third season in a row after seeing off a spirited challenge from lower-league Acle.
An even first half ended 2-1 to City after Anna Larkins and Kate Parsons had netted, followed by a sublime free-kick by Jenna Thurtle to pull one back for Acle.
But the South-East Combination team’s greater experience and fitness told in the second half with Vicki Stephens and Nadine Basson both scoring twice, and Acle having to bravely defend other efforts.
Player of the match was City’s Vicki Stephens.
You may also want to watch:
City manager Emma Fletcher said after the game: “I’m proud of the girls and the effort they put in, and so happy to have retained the cup. We had to work hard for it - Acle came with a game plan.
“We love this competition, and we love competing in it. It’s great to get some silverware and we can add this to what has been an incredible season for the club.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 4 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 5 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 6 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 7 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 9 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 10 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
“We will enjoy today – and then plan our last three league games and hope to get a top-three finish.”