City Ladies’ game abandoned after injury to player
After a week off, Norwich City Ladies began their long run of away games with a trip to face their MK Dons counterparts.
With neither team able to carve out any real opportunities in the opening exchanges, it took a decision from the assistant referee to allow MK Dons to open the scoring, when Coombes was adjudged to have handled the ball outside of the penalty area from a drop kick. MK Dons took the opportunity, firing the ball over the wall, giving Coombes no chance.
City started the second half brightly and were determined to level the scores and with 10 minutes of the second half gone, Larkins’ free kick played Basson through and as she sprinted past the defence, she calmly volleyed the ball past the oncoming keeper.
City looked good for taking the lead until the other assistant referee awarded MK Dons a penalty, which was calmly finished to make the score 2-1 to Dons.
It was Diston who nearly managed to equalise when she turned and volleyed, only for the ball to be blocked and with city camped in MK Dons’ half and only two at the back, they were open to the counter attack. The game was sealed when MK Dons broke and scored a third leaving City a mountain to climb.
Worrying for City, Vicki Stephens was not moving after a challenge in the penalty area and with the trainer called on, the game was abandoned with the score at MK Dons 3, Norwich 1.
Speaking after the game, Emma Fletcher said: “It was a disappointing result at the end of the day, but we have won six of our opening nine games and are currently in third place in the league and I am happy to report that Vicki Stephens has been given the all clear.”
- 1 Stuart Webber opens up on Norwich City's dire season
- 2 Webber maps out City transfer strategy
- 3 City fans react to controversial Webber interview
- 4 How much is Teemu Pukki worth to Norwich City?
- 5 City legend Fleming departs Southampton coaching role
- 6 Media exclusion from Webber interview hardly 'transparent'
- 7 David Hannant: A barrel-scraping end of season highlight reel
- 8 Smith searching for a Pukki support cast
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on AFC Wimbledon winger
- 10 City keeper recalled to Wales U21 squad after successful cancer treatment
Squad for the match: Coombes, Gray, Larkins, Parsons (c), Cooper, Farman, Whitehurst, Collison (70), Love, Stephens, Basson (53 mins) (Diston 85).