City Ladies secure dramatic win in injury time

Cambridge Women 2, Norwich City Ladies 3

Norwich made the relatively short trip to Ely City to play Cambridge Women FC as they looked to bounce back from a 3-1 defeat to Chesham in their last match.

Early in the first half, chances fell for both teams with the best falling to Kyla Love, whose shot rebounded off the Cambridge crossbar.

City goalkeeper Fiona Coombes played her part to keep the game goalless with a couple of very good saves, coming off her line smartly.

City finally managed to make the breakthrough in the 34th minute when Nadine Basson was released by Love to slot the ball past the advancing Cambridge goalkeeper and open the scoring.

Play was quickly moving from end to end with Cambridge looking dangerous on the break. They soon got their reward as they grabbed an equaliser, City unable to deal with a long ball over the top as the home side levelled the scores going into the break.

Cambridge continued their momentum going into the second half and they soon had a lead within two minutes of the restart. Another long ball proved difficult to deal with for City as the home side grabbed the lead.

Most Read

This spurred City on, however, as they quickly pushed forward for the equaliser. City piled the pressure on and in the 57th minute it eventually paid off for the Canaries. Basson proved tricky to deal with again for Cambridge and was clumsily taken out by Cambridge keeper, resulting in a penalty and a yellow card.

It was left to City skipper Sasha Diston to convert from the spot, smashing the ball into the bottom corner despite a touch from the goalkeeper to level the scores at 2-2.

Love was replaced by Anna Larkins in the 65th minute and made an immediate impact on the game. Norwich picked up a yellow card following a late challenge from Stephens.

Now with the scores level, City pushed for a winning goal and City nearly took the lead when Gemma Farman headed agonisingly wide following a pinpoint cross from Larkins. City felt they should have had a second penalty when Farman’s through ball found Vicki Stephens, whose legs seemed to be taken from under her. Following what seemed an eternity, the referee pointed for a goal kick.

Feeling a little aggrieved, City were not going home without three points and continued to press, dominating possession, Cambridge were still looking dangerous on the counter attack and Norwich were thankful again to keeper Coombes diving well at the feet of opposition to keep the scores at 2-2.

As the game entered injury time, it seemed both teams would take a share of the spoils, until Basson volleyed the ball into the back of the net following a free kick from Farman to seal a dramatic win for City.

Final score: Cambridge Women FC 2, Norwich City 3

Team: Coombes, Newcoombe, Diston, Gray, Cooper, Farman, Collison, Clark, Kyla (Larkins 65 mins), Stephens, Basson.