City legend helps Cambridge to friendly win over Ipswich
- Credit: Cambridge United FC
Wes Hoolahan loves playing Ipswich Town and enjoyed a reunion with former Norwich City boss Paul Lambert as his Cambridge team beat the Blues in a pre-season friendly.
The Canaries legend played the opening hour at the Abbey Stadium on Saturday and created a number of chances, including starting the move from which Paul Digby scored the only goal in the 56th minute.
Hoolahan, 38, came off five minutes later but the League Two side held on for the 1-0 friendly victory over the Tractor Boys, leaving assistant manager Stuart Taylor annoyed ahead of next Saturday’s home game against League One rivals Bristol Rovers in the first round of the League Cup.
“We were disappointing. We don’t look at results in pre-season, we look at performances,” Taylor told Town’s website. “However the level of performance today was poor, so it was really disappointing for us in every aspect.”
Hoolahan faced Ipswich in 10 derby day encounters as a Norwich player and remained unbeaten, winning seven and drawing three - scoring in the 4-1 win at Carrow Road in November 2010 and during the 3-1 home triumph in May 2015 which sealed Championship play-off semi-final success ahead of promotion at Wembley.
You may also want to watch:
Town haven’t beaten the Canaries since April 2009, with the 10-game unbeaten record the longest in the history of the East Anglian Derby.
They were relegated from the Championship under Lambert in 2019 and finished 11th in League One last season.
- 1 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 2 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 3 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 4 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 5 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 6 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 7 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 8 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 9 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 10 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League