Sinani brace propels Luxembourg to second in Nations League group
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Danel Sinani netted a brace to help Luxembourg beat Cyprus 2-0 in the Nations League - with the 23-year-old seeing a goal disallowed to prevent him from getting a hat-trick.
The attacking midfielder scored twice as his country moved up to second in League C Group 1 - trailing Montenegro by three points.
Sinani’s first saw him time a run perfectly before latching onto a through pass by Vincent Thill. The City loan export curled his effort into the net to give Luxembourg the lead after 12 minutes.
Later in the first-half, Sinani doubled his goal tally. He carried the ball into the Cyprus half before teeing up Thill for a shot. The CD Nacional midfielder saw his effort saved but it fell kindly for Sinani who sweeped the ball into the net.
He was denied his hat-trick on the stroke of half-time after curling an effort into the net from the outside of the box. The linesman judged that Dirk Carlson was offside.
You may also want to watch:
Sinani joined the Canaries from Luxembourg top-flight F91 Dudelange on a free transfer after seeing his contract expire. Despite featuring in pre-season under Daniel Farke, the midfielder was loaned to Belgian First Division side Waasland-Beveren.
- 1 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 2 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 4 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 5 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 6 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 7 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
- 8 Farke is not looking over his shoulder at City
- 9 Norwich City v Bristol City - all you need to know
- 10 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment