Sinani brace propels Luxembourg to second in Nations League group
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Danel Sinani netted a brace to help Luxembourg beat Cyprus 2-0 in the Nations League - with the 23-year-old seeing a goal disallowed to prevent him from getting a hat-trick.
The attacking midfielder scored twice as his country moved up to second in League C Group 1 - trailing Montenegro by three points.
Sinani’s first saw him time a run perfectly before latching onto a through pass by Vincent Thill. The City loan export curled his effort into the net to give Luxembourg the lead after 12 minutes.
Later in the first-half, Sinani doubled his goal tally. He carried the ball into the Cyprus half before teeing up Thill for a shot. The CD Nacional midfielder saw his effort saved but it fell kindly for Sinani who sweeped the ball into the net.
He was denied his hat-trick on the stroke of half-time after curling an effort into the net from the outside of the box. The linesman judged that Dirk Carlson was offside.
You may also want to watch:
Sinani joined the Canaries from Luxembourg top-flight F91 Dudelange on a free transfer after seeing his contract expire. Despite featuring in pre-season under Daniel Farke, the midfielder was loaned to Belgian First Division side Waasland-Beveren.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 2 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 3 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 8 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 9 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
- 10 City miss chance to secure title in Watford defeat