Famewo impressing Charlton boss and colleagues during loan stint
- Credit: PA
Canaries youngster Akin Famewo is earning rave reviews since completing his loan switch to Charlton Athletic - despite Lee Bowyer initially having concerns about taking him.
Famewo has started both games since arriving at The Valley following their takeover, helping keep a clean sheet last weekend against promotion-chasing Sunderland.
City rate the 21-year-old very highly and Timm Klose’s departure has opened a vacancy in the central defensive positions – but recalling Famewo isn’t an option until January, although there is no doubt City will be keen to take stock of his performances if he continues to impress.
Despite his positive start, Charlton did have concerns over his signing.
“My worry when you take these young lads from U23 football is that it is not real,” Bowyer told the South London Press, “It’s ‘you have it, we have it’ – it’s not very physical.
You may also want to watch:
“So my worry when you bring a young lad in is what their physicality is going to be like, especially as a defender. But he got everything right at the weekend.
“Akin had been out on loan in Scotland and we knew he had been okay there. In possession he was very good. But he is another who hasn’t played any minutes before joining us – he’ll get better and better as the season goes on.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 5 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 6 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 7 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 8 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- 10 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion
“Norwich speak very, very highly of him. We’re lucky to have been able to get a player like him.”
Famewo joined the Canaries from Luton in 2019 after a loan spell with Grimsby in League Two. He spent a year at City learning how the club wanted him to play before a productive but brief spell with Scottish side St Mirren. He made his first senior appearance for City on the final day of the Premier League season against Manchester City as a late sub. According to the goalkeeper who plays behind him, Famewo is helping make his job a lot easier.
“He’s aggressive and athletic and a big plus for me is that he is a great talker as well,” goalkeeper Ben Amos told Charlton’s website. “He’s very loud on the pitch which obviously helps me and makes my job easier. So far, so good, he’s got a good attitude as well, he likes talking about the game and asking questions, hopefully me and him will build a relationship and likewise with him and the rest of the defenders.”