‘His performance had everything’ – City midfielder named in Premier League Team of the Week
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s creative midfielder Todd Cantwell has been named in the official Premier League Team of the Week, which is selected by former England captain Alan Shearer.
The England Under-21 international scored his third goal of the season during City's 2-0 win at Everton on Saturday, as Daniel Farke's team moved off the bottom of the table.
His performance has earned a place in Shearer's midfield following match week 13, alongside Wolves' experienced Portugal international Joao Moutinho and Aston Villa's Conor Hourihane.
Cantwell, 21, has three goals and two assists from 13 top-flight appearances so far this season, starting 11 of those games.
Shearer also spoke about the Canaries academy product's performance during his role as an analyst on Match of the Day, saying: "His performance had everything, we spoke tonight about work rate and everything else, look at this, the desire to get back (showing Cantwell tracking back to tackle Morgan Schneiderlin).
"And he wasn't finished there, he gets the ball back and sprays it across to the other side of the pitch, then he tries to get on the end of it in the box. He doesn't get it but it just highlights his overall performance.
You may also want to watch:
"Unlucky here because if it doesn't take a block off Schneiderlin I think this is going in the back of the net. And it was good link-up play between him and Pukki - he sprays the ball out wide for him and Pukki repays the compliment.
"And it's intelligent, he sees the space (reviewing Cantwell's goal), running in behind - very good from Pukki, sets him up, and he gets the goal that his performance deserved.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 2 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 4 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 8 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 9 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
- 10 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
"He can work on the celebration a bit! There's nothing wrong with running away with your arm in the air...
"There were some superb performances from Norwich and he was a part of it."
Earlier this season Jamal Lewis and Emi Buendia made the Team of the Week for match week five, after the 3-2 win over champions Manchester City, with Daniel Farke chosen as the manager of the week.
Teemu Pukki was also named as the streak in the MW2 Team of the Week, following his hat-trick in a 3-1 home win over Newcastle - winning the Premier League Player of the Month award for August, after six goals during that opening month of the season.
MW13 Team of the Week: Nick Pope (Burnley); Serge Aurier (Tottenham), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Fernandinho (Man City), Ben Chilwell (Leicester); Joao Moutinho (Wolves), TODD CANTWELL (NORWICH), Conor Hourihane (A Villa); Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Lys Mousset (Sheff Utd), Son (Tottenham).
Manager: Brendan Rodgers (Leicester)