City midfielder reclaims place in Scotland squad
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Scotland have recalled Kenny McLean following the Norwich City midfielder’s return to fitness for the Championship leaders.
The 27-year-old won his first cap back in March 2016 when still an Aberdeen player but won four more caps last season, including during summer friendlies against Peru and Mexico.
However, surgery on an ankle injury picked up in just his third match for Norwich in August saw McLean miss four months of the season, before returning to action in January.
The former St Mirren man has since taken his opportunity, scoring twice and claiming two assists during eight Championship appearances, to help keep Daniel Farke’s team on course for promotion.
That has earned him a recall to the Scotland squad, with Alex McLeish preparing for the start of 2020 European Championship qualification during the international break.
You may also want to watch:
The Scots begin with two away games, in Kazakhstan on Thursday, March 21 (3pm UK time) and San Marino on Sunday, March 24 (5pm), with Belgium, Russia and Cyprus the other teams in Group I.
Grant Hanley and Jordan Rhodes are the other Scotland internationals in the Norwich squad but limited game time for both at club level means both remain outside of McLeish’s squad for now.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
- 3 Can City seal just their third Carrow Road promotion?
- 4 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 5 Another goal for Drmic - could City striker earn Euros recall?
- 6 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 7 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 8 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 9 Connor Southwell: Why Emi Buendia must be crowned City's Player of the Season
- 10 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit