City new boy wins Wigan’s Goal of the Season award
- Credit: PA
New Norwich City signing Kieran Dowell has won Wigan Athletic’s Goal of the Season award for his hat-trick goal in the 8-0 demolition of Hull City last month.
Dowell spent the second half of last season on loan with the Latics - who were relegated to League One after they fell into administration.
The attacking midfielder put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal with the Canaries last week - signing on a permanent deal and ending an 15-year association with Everton.
Dowell’s effort received 47pc of the overall vote, with Kieffer Moore’s back-heel volley in Wigan’s 3-0 win away at Reading earning 17pc, whilst Kal Naismith’s second goal in the 3-0 win against Stoke City earned 15pc of the votes.
He was nominated for Championship Player of the Month for July, only to be beaten by Brentford’s Said Benrahma.
You may also want to watch:
The 22-year-old impressed during his spell at the DW Stadium - with Wigan losing only twice since February, only for a points deduction to see them relegated to the third tier.
In a message to supporters posted on the Latic’s social media channels, City’s new boy said: “I’d like to say a big thank you to all of the supporters who voted for me goal. It’s really nice to be recognised by you ahead of some other great goals.
- 1 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 4 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 5 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 6 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 7 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 9 Di Cunningham: Why City fans are in a class of their own
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
“It’s important for me to say what an unbelievable effort the lads put in throughout the season, especially in the challenging circumstances.”