City new boy wins Wigan’s Goal of the Season award
- Credit: PA
New Norwich City signing Kieran Dowell has won Wigan Athletic’s Goal of the Season award for his hat-trick goal in the 8-0 demolition of Hull City last month.
Dowell spent the second half of last season on loan with the Latics - who were relegated to League One after they fell into administration.
The attacking midfielder put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal with the Canaries last week - signing on a permanent deal and ending an 15-year association with Everton.
Dowell’s effort received 47pc of the overall vote, with Kieffer Moore’s back-heel volley in Wigan’s 3-0 win away at Reading earning 17pc, whilst Kal Naismith’s second goal in the 3-0 win against Stoke City earned 15pc of the votes.
He was nominated for Championship Player of the Month for July, only to be beaten by Brentford’s Said Benrahma.
You may also want to watch:
The 22-year-old impressed during his spell at the DW Stadium - with Wigan losing only twice since February, only for a points deduction to see them relegated to the third tier.
In a message to supporters posted on the Latic’s social media channels, City’s new boy said: “I’d like to say a big thank you to all of the supporters who voted for me goal. It’s really nice to be recognised by you ahead of some other great goals.
- 1 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 5 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 6 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 7 Hugill thrilled with brace and determined to help keep City on track
- 8 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 9 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 10 Watch extended highlights of the Canaries' 2-0 win over Bristol City
“It’s important for me to say what an unbelievable effort the lads put in throughout the season, especially in the challenging circumstances.”