‘Injuries could go through the roof’ - City players still have plenty of questions about Project Restart
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There are still coronavirus questions which Norwich City’s players need to be answered ahead of any resumption of the Premier League season, captain Grant Hanley has explained.
In recent weeks Canaries players have only been able to train individually at Colney, under strict social distancing rules, but Premier League clubs are due to vote on Monday on whether they are ready to step up to training in small groups after talks with players began last week - ahead of the season potentially resuming on June 12.
On one of his main concerns, Hanley said: “If a player did contract the virus and then was ill with it, would that affect their long-term career? Is that going to affect their lungs or other major organs, have an impact on their livelihood?
“I just think there’s so much that surrounds it in terms of the timescale that we’re looking at to get back to playing games. The period that we’re going to have had off is going to be longer than any summer break and then we’re trying to squeeze in maybe two or three weeks full team training, maximum.
“So getting your head around that, injuries could go through the roof, especially at a time when we’re going to be restricted on using the physios and using recovery methods, in terms of ice baths and things like that.
“Lads’ situations are different, players are maybe going into the last year of their contract and it’s a massive risk in terms of injuries for them to be taking at their age.
You may also want to watch:
“Some lads need 45 minutes to an hour-and-a-half every day, just to train, so I think one of the protocols is for 15 minutes of treatment and some lads just aren’t going to be able to get by with that.”
Hanley also said that “100 per cent of players want to get back to football” once a safe plan for resuming full-contact training and games is finalised, but said he still has issues.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 8 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
Speaking to Sky Sports News, he continued: “My missus is pregnant and due at the start of July so there’s obviously worries for myself, every team has got players with different views, some have got family members that are vulnerable or whatever.
“It’s difficult to see five or six days in front of us or anything past that, there’s not been any information given to us, for instance: How do we travel to games? Where do we stay? What about the hotels, how do we guarantee they’re going to be safe for us to stay in?
“Ultimately it’s putting you family at risk that is the main concern and that’s the worries that all the teams will have at the moment.”