City’s former Youth Cup captain moves to Belgium
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Former Norwich City academy star Cameron McGeehan has signed permanently for Belgian top-flight side KV Oostende.
The 25-year-old, who was a pivotal player and captain of the Norwich under-18 team which won the FA Youth Cup in 2013, spent the second half of last season on loan in League One with Portsmouth - missing the crucial penalty in their play-off semi-final loss to Oxford.
But instead of returning to parent club Barnsley, McGeehan has joined Oostende, who share the same owners as the Tykes.
The former Chelsea trainee didn’t make a senior appearance for Norwich despite his youth success, only being named on the bench once. After loans at Cambridge and Luton he was sold to Luton for an undisclosed six-figure fee in 2015.
He made over 100 appearances for the Hatters but missed the second half of 2016-17 with a broken leg and then was sold to Barnsley after play-off defeat.
You may also want to watch:
Limited opportunities in the Championship brought a League One loan with Scunthorpe in 2018 but he returned and played an integral part in Barnsley bouncing back to the Championship at the first attempt.
However, a change of manager just two months into last season left the midfielder on the fringes before his loan to Pompey.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 2 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 3 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 4 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 5 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 6 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 7 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 8 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 9 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 10 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
McGeehan posted on Twitter: “I’m very happy to have signed @KVOostende, an exciting new adventure.”
His new club’s season starts on Monday, at home to Beerschot-Wilrijk.