City set to loosen Purse strings
Cardiff City defender Darren Purse was today believed to be in talks over a move to Norwich City.The 31-year-old centre-half has been given permission by the Bluebirds to speak to another Championship club, understood to be the Canaries, and could become new manager Bryan Gunn's first signing.
Cardiff City defender Darren Purse was today believed to be in talks over a move to Norwich City.
The 31-year-old centre-half has been given permission by the Bluebirds to speak to another Championship club, understood to be the Canaries, and could become new manager Bryan Gunn's first signing.
Purse, who is out of contract in the summer, was reported to have been at Carrow Road to watch last night's 2-2 draw against Southampton.
After the match, Gunn refused to confirm his interest in Purse, a Londoner whose previous clubs are Leyton Orient, Oxford, Birmingham and West Bromwich Albion.
You may also want to watch:
"I've been involved in 95 minutes of Championship football. We've got phone calls in to lots of different clubs," said Gunn.
"Neil Doncaster is going to be a busy man in the next few days, and so we will see what we end up with before the deadline on February 2.
- 1 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 3 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 4 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 5 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 6 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 7 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 8 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 9 Norwich loan has 'ticked every box' for Ben Gibson
- 10 City hold talks with Nyland
"We've got interest in a lot of players. I have said we're looking for players who can battle, who can play football for us as well, so there will be a number of players linked with us. We can't do anything about that, but we hope we will be able to bring fresh faces into the squad and it will help us achieve our mission."
But Gunn did not rule out having a new face in time for Friday's Championship match at Doncaster.
He said: "It doesn't happen quickly, the calls are in. We'll be patient, as patient as we can, and if we can get someone in before Doncaster on Friday we will."
Cardiff manager Dave Jones insists Purse will not be allowed to leave until he brings in a replacement.