Xavi Quintilla joins Norwich City
- Credit: Norwich City FC
Xavi Quintilla has become Norwich City’s ninth signing of the window.
The 23-year-old will join on an initial loan for the 2020-21 season from Spanish top-flight side Villarreal. The deal also contains an option to buy - believed to be around £2.7m.
Quintilla made 23 appearances in all competitions last season, with his last outing coming against Spanish champions Real Madrid last month.
The left-back developed in Barcelona’s academy system and joined Villarreal’s B team in 2017 before progressing to the first team, making 32 appearances for the club.
Former Arsenal boss Unai Emery has taken the hotseat at the Estadio de la Ceramica and has sanctioned a deal for Quintilla to leave the the Spanish club.
You may also want to watch:
Villarreal have two other left-backs returning from loans this summer, as well as first-choice Alberto Moreno.
Speaking about why he opted to join the Canaries, the Spanish youth international said: “I’m so happy and proud to be here and to play for Norwich in England and in the Championship.
- 1 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 2 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 8 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
- 9 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 10 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
“My philosophy and my football is similar to Norwich’s. I played before for Villarreal and Barcelona’s academy, and I think Norwich works a bit like them, so it’s great for me,” he told the club’s official channels.
“I come here to play as many minutes as possible. We want to play good football for the fans to see. I would love to play in the Premier League, so I will do everything possible to get Norwich into the top league.”
Quintilla’s arrival means the Canaries will now have three recognised left-backs on their books, with the Spaniard joining Jamal Lewis and Sam McCallum after Philip Heise joined German second division side Karlsruher SC on loan.
Lewis has been the subject of interest from Liverpool this summer - with Crystal Palace and Leicester City also said to be interested in the Northern Irish international.
City have also received loan enquiries for McCallum, and he will leave the club on loan should Lewis remain a City player.
Quintilla is a player the Canaries have been tracking for a while, with City boss Daniel Farke pleased to have got his man.
“Xavi is a player we’ve been following and tracking for some time.
“I’m happy it has been possible to sign him at this stage, because he is a young player with experience at the top level. He has played nearly 30 games in La Liga for Villarreal and also has experience in European competitions.
“He’s a humble person who wants to develop his game. As a player, he has good technical and tactical skills and is very good in possession of the ball.
“We had a situation last season where we were a little short in the full-back areas, so we’ve now been able to add competition and options in those areas.”