City starlet helps Ireland U21s to crucial draw but McGovern unused during defeat in Holland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City striker Adam Idah helped Republic of Ireland Under-21s to an important draw with Italy in Dublin this evening.
Idah played all of a feisty 0-0 draw in Euro 2021 qualifying at the Tallaght Stadium, in front of a crowd of over 7,000, but Canaries winger Simon Power - currently on loan at Scottish Premiership club Ross County - was an unused substitute.
Tottenham starlet Troy Parrott and Everton striker Moise Kean, signed from Juventus for a reported £29m this summer, were sent off in the 64th minute after clashing and Idah was one of seven players booked in the game.
The draw keeps Ireland top of Group One with 10 points from four games, with Italy six points adrift in third having played two games fewer. The Irish head to second-placed Iceland on Tuesday.
Idah, 18, has four goals in eight caps at U21 level and has been featuring on the bench for Norwich recently, making his first-team debut in August when he played all of a 1-0 League Cup loss at Crawley, having been prolific at academy levels in recent seasons.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, Michael McGovern's recent Premier League action for the Canaries wasn't enough to earn a first competitive appearance for Northern Ireland since November 2017.
The 35-year-old goalkeeper was an unused substitute as two injury-time goals for the Netherlands denied Michael O'Neill's side a point in Group C of Euro 2020 qualifying, losing 3-1 in Rotterdam.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 8 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 9 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
- 10 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion