City still keen on Marshall

CHRIS LAKEY Norwich City are still in the hunt for goalkeeper David Marshall, despite having a bid for the Celtic man rejected by the Scottish champions.The 22-year-old will remain top of manager Peter Grant's summer shopping list, although City have been told to improve an offer which it is believed could cost them up to £500,000.

CHRIS LAKEY

Norwich City are still in the hunt for goalkeeper David Marshall, despite having a bid for the Celtic man rejected by the Scottish champions.

The 22-year-old will remain top of manager Peter Grant's summer shopping list, although City have been told to improve an offer which it is believed could cost them up to £500,000.

Marshall has handed in a transfer request at Parkhead, where he has a year left on his contract, and Celtic clearly believe there are other interested parties prepared to come in with offers.


You may also want to watch:


The Scotland international played just twice for Celtic last season before a loan spell at City which was cut short by injury.

However, Grant - who tried five different keepers last season - saw enough to convince him Marshall was his man.

Most Read

Marshall is unlikely to unseat first choice keeper Artur Boruc and with manager Gordon Strachan reluctant to let the Polish keeper go, it was no surprise when he made it clear he felt his future was elsewhere.

Canaries chief executive Neil Doncaster yesterday refused to confirm that a bid had been made, the club again opting to keep details of transfer activity in house.

"As and when we've got something positive to report we will do so," he said. "Some other clubs like to talk about what they are or are not going to do. We would rather do business privately.

"We understand a number of supporters find that stance frustrating, but we believe it's in the best interests of the club."

City already have a bid believed to be in excess of £2m on the table for Scunthorpe striker Billy Sharp, and while there others in the queue, their hopes were boosted yesterday when Sheffield Wednesday ruled out being drawn into a bidding war for the player.

Wolves have reportedly trumped City's offer, but Wednesday boss Brian Law - who was first on the scene with a bid - is ready to end his interest.

"If there's a bidding war forget it, we'll be out of it like a shot," said Laws.

Meanwhile, Coventry City have made an undisclosed offer for Cambridge United striker Robbie Simpson - but the final fee could go to a tribunal.

The 22-year-old, who has been linked with Norwich, is out of contract but his age means he cannot leave on a free transfer.

Coventry manager Iain Dowie said: "We made an offer to Cambridge United and there is some distance between the two clubs with regard to the valuation of Robbie. It therefore looks set to go to tribunal and we are hopeful of a positive outcome."

Cambridge boss Jimmy Quinn said: "We made him an offer which would put him substantially above anyone else at the club.

But it looks as if other clubs have been in touch with him and it's not a surprise that Robbie's had his head turned."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus