Klose adds Euro 2020 motivation as City striker sees injury replacement shine for Switzerland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There may well have been mixed feelings for Josip Drmic as he saw Switzerland seal qualification for Euro 2020, as the Norwich City striker’s injury replacement grabbed his opportunity.
Drmic had limped through the closing stages of City's 2-0 home defeat to Watford in the Premier League ahead of the international break, leading to him pulling out of the Swiss squad to have a hamstring strain assessed.
St Gallen's 22-year-old striker Cedric Itten was called up in the Canaries player's place and scored three goals in his first two games at senior level for his county, coming off the bench and scoring a crucial late winner at home to Georgia on Friday.
That ensured that Switzerland would go through with a win in Gibraltar on Monday night and Itten scored a brace to help make sure of a comfortable 6-1 victory over the minnows - claiming top spot in Group D.
Drmic, 27, has 10 goals in 35 games to his name at international level but has seen his career severely disrupted by injuries in recent years, with City fans waiting to hear if the former Borussia Monchengladbach forward will be fit for Saturday's game at Everton.
Itten's efforts have helped provide both Drmic and Canaries defender Timm Klose an added motivation to perform in the Premier League this season though, with places in the squad for next summer's finals up for grabs.
Klose suffered a serious knee ligament injury in August but is hoping to be back in contention for games before the end of the season, posting on Instagram today to reveal he no longer needs the knee brace he has had to wear for most of the last three months.
The centre-back also posted a message of congratulations to his international team-mates, saying: "Well done boys, another goal for next year."
You may also want to watch:
Klose, 31, has 17 international caps but has not been involved in a tournament, while Drmic played at the World Cup in 2014 and 2018.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 6 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 7 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 9 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 10 Young Canaries suffer last-gasp defeat in first game of 2021