Klose adds Euro 2020 motivation as City striker sees injury replacement shine for Switzerland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There may well have been mixed feelings for Josip Drmic as he saw Switzerland seal qualification for Euro 2020, as the Norwich City striker’s injury replacement grabbed his opportunity.
Drmic had limped through the closing stages of City's 2-0 home defeat to Watford in the Premier League ahead of the international break, leading to him pulling out of the Swiss squad to have a hamstring strain assessed.
St Gallen's 22-year-old striker Cedric Itten was called up in the Canaries player's place and scored three goals in his first two games at senior level for his county, coming off the bench and scoring a crucial late winner at home to Georgia on Friday.
That ensured that Switzerland would go through with a win in Gibraltar on Monday night and Itten scored a brace to help make sure of a comfortable 6-1 victory over the minnows - claiming top spot in Group D.
Drmic, 27, has 10 goals in 35 games to his name at international level but has seen his career severely disrupted by injuries in recent years, with City fans waiting to hear if the former Borussia Monchengladbach forward will be fit for Saturday's game at Everton.
Itten's efforts have helped provide both Drmic and Canaries defender Timm Klose an added motivation to perform in the Premier League this season though, with places in the squad for next summer's finals up for grabs.
Klose suffered a serious knee ligament injury in August but is hoping to be back in contention for games before the end of the season, posting on Instagram today to reveal he no longer needs the knee brace he has had to wear for most of the last three months.
The centre-back also posted a message of congratulations to his international team-mates, saying: "Well done boys, another goal for next year."
You may also want to watch:
Klose, 31, has 17 international caps but has not been involved in a tournament, while Drmic played at the World Cup in 2014 and 2018.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 5 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 6 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 9 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion