City U23s denied win by late Boro goal ahead of EFL Trophy opener at Oxford
- Credit: PA
Michael McGovern and Adam Idah were in action as Norwich City Under-23s were denied PL2 victory over Middlesbrough by a late goal.
Boro had taken the lead in the 13th minute and both teams were denied by the crossbar but striker Gassan Ahadme levelled just before the break, turning in an Idah cross from the right.
The hosts took the lead at the Lotus Training Centre on Friday night when defender Ciaren Jones headed in a Tom Scully free-kick but Boro bundled in an equaliser in the 89th minute.
Experienced keeper McGovern now heads off for international duty with Northern Ireland and Idah joins up with the Republic of Ireland U21s, with Dan Adshead (England U19s) and Archie Mair and Aidan Fitzpatrick (Scotland U19s) among the other players set for national duty.
David Wright's development squad are sixth in Division Two after a win and two draws from their opening four matches.
You may also want to watch:
Next up is the start of the EFL Trophy group stages on Tuesday night, when an under-21 side and a maximum of two over-age players will travel to League One side Oxford United (7.45pm).
Norwich U23s: McGovern; Lomas, Jones, Famewo (C), Nizet; Fitzpatrick (Hutchinson 88), Milovanovic, Scully, Adshead (Thorvaldsson 70); Idah, Ahadme (McAlear 68)
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 5 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 6 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 7 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 8 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- 10 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion