City U23s leave it late to record first win since August against Reading
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2019
Norwich City U23s recorded a last-gasp victory against Reading on Monday night, with forward Gassan Ahadme netting in stoppage time to ensure the young Canaries recorded their first win in nine games.
City's XI included Adam Idah, Philip Heise and Akin Famewo as the U23s battled hard to overcome a Reading side that included ex-Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam.
The autumnal conditions at Adams Park prevented either side dominating but the Royals did have a flurry of crosses that was dealt with well by City in the first half.
Prior to half-time, Ahadme was gifted with an opportunity to put City ahead but his effort was deflected wide.
In the second half, David Wright's men looked to operate on the counter attack, with both sides missing half chances. Quality was lacking in the final third with both sides missing that killer instinct in front of goal.
You may also want to watch:
In stoppage time however, the young Canaries did find a late winner.
A pass from Reading keeper Coniah Boyce-Clarke was seized upon by Idah, who robbed the ball before squaring it to Ahadme who tapped into the back of the net.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 5 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 6 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 7 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 8 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- 10 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion
The win was City's first since August but keeps them 11th in the Premier League 2 Divison 2 table.
Norwich City U23s: Rose, Thomas, Nizet, Omobamidele, Famewo (c), Adshead, Martin (Hondermarck, 76), Thorvaldsson (McAlear, 58), Idah, Ahadme, Heise
Subs not used: Johnson, Lomas, Hutchinson
Bookings: Omobamidele (62)
Goals: Ahadme (90)
Reading U23s: Boyce-Clark, Odimayo, Dorsett, Elva-Fountaine, Samuels, Adam (Frost, 27), East, Nditi, Nevers, Liddle, Barrett
Subs not used: Roberts, Werick Maciel