Young Canaries victorious in high-scoring encounter with Middlesbrough
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City U23s were victorious in a high-scoring encounter against Middlesbrough on Monday evening, with David Wright’s men winning 4-3.
City did find themselves 3-1 up at half-time, only for Boro to pull the game back to 3-2.
City opened the scoring through right-back Jordan Thomas, who shimmied his way through the hosts backline before sidefooting coolly into the net.
The Canaries doubled their advantage soon after, with Aidan Fitzpatrick's teasing cross flicking into the net via the head of Boro defender Nicholas Hood.
Shae Hutchinson latched onto a mistake by the Boro backline and raced clear before netting City's third.
You may also want to watch:
Ben Liddle reduced the deficit shortly after the break with a beautiful free-kick before Rumarn Burrell bundled the ball into the net to make it 3-2.
City's FA Youth Cup hero Josh Martin tapped in from close range before Liddle netted a late consolation for the hosts.
- 1 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 4 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 5 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 6 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 7 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 9 Di Cunningham: Why City fans are in a class of their own
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
The win continues City's fine run of form, with the Canaries having won three of their last five fixtures. They remain 11th in the table on goal difference and face Aston Villa Under-23s at Colney on Friday.
Middlesbrough Under-23s: Brynn, Dodds, Reading, Hood, Dale, Liddle, Malley, Wearne (Folarin 65), Jones, O'Neill, Burrell. Unused subs: Metcalfe, Robinson, Reed.
Goals: Liddle 33, 69, Burrell 54
Norwich City Under-23s: Mair, Thomas, Nizet, Tompkinson, Odusina (Scully 78), Adshead, Fitzpatrick, Hondermarck (Omotoye 66), Hutchinson, Thorvaldsson, Martin. Unused subs: Scully, Blair, McAlear.
Goals: Thomas 15, Hood (og) 24, Hutchinson 28, Martin 65