City U23s midfielder on trial at Southend
- Credit: Ian Burt
Norwich City youngster Matthew Dennis is training with Southend United during pre-season.
The former Arsenal trainee was a regular starter for City's U23s last season and still has a year on his contract, so a loan deal would appear most likely.
The 19-year-old scored seven goals in 25 matches for the Canaries development squad during his first season with the club, including goals against Plymouth and Newport in the EFL Trophy.
Previously on the books at Arsenal from the age of six, the attacking midfielder or forward has joined the Essex club following their relegation to the National League.
Former Hull boss Brown returned in April but couldn't prevent the Shrimpers from returning to non-league for the first time since 1920.
They have friendly games approaching against Great Wakering Rovers on Tuesday and a West Ham XI next Friday, with a game against the Norwich U23s pencilled in for later in pre-season, on Tuesday, August 10.
Dennis could feature in some of the upcoming games, as Southend build towards their opener away at King's Lynn Town on Saturday, August 21.
“Matthew has come in and he’s someone that can play in a variety of attacking positions,” Brown told the Southend Echo.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Reported target set to snub Canaries
- 2 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 3 Canaries' ace Billy Gilmour belts out karaoke classic in city
- 4 Exiled City duo feature in stunning U23 friendly comeback
- 5 'A lot of potential there' - City defender on trial at Coventry
- 6 City confirm midfielder exit
- 7 Fans set for Carrow Road return in Gillingham friendly
- 8 'He is going to be a top, top player'- City star on Gilmour
- 9 Fans could need both jabs to attend Premier League matches under new plans
- 10 Farke savours Lees-Melou masterclass
“He can play as a nine, 10, seven or 11 which are the roles we’re looking to fill so we will be having a look at him both in training and in the friendlies.
“We have a good relationship with Norwich and they’ve said we can take a look at him.”
Meanwhile, Norwich have confirmed scholarship deals for seven players that will step up from schoolboy level to feature for the U18s this season.
They are: goalkeeper Reece Trueman, defender Ayyuba Jambang, midfielders Osman Foyo, Finley Welch and Michael Reindorf, winger Alex Matos and forward Ken Aboh.