City U23s striker beaten to PL2 Player of the Month award
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City youngster Shae Hutchinson has been beaten to the Premier League Two Player of the Month award for January.
The 19-year-old striker was nominated for the monthly PL2 award after scoring three goals in three games for City's U23s last month.
He claimed a goal and an assist during a 4-3 win at Middlesbrough and scored both goals as Aston Villa were beaten 2-1 at Colney as he started again, also making a late appearance in a 2-1 defeat to Manchester United at Carrow Road.
Hutchinson came to the attention of Canaries fans earlier this season after he had fired David Wright's development squad ahead against the first team of League One side Oxford United in the EFL Trophy group stages in September.
The speedy striker slotted home in the 63rd minute at the Kassam Stadium - just short of a year after having a kidney transplant.
The hosts avoided an upset with two late goals but City U23s boss Wright still hailed the goal as an "absolutely amazing story" as his young hopefuls put in a fine performance.
You may also want to watch:
In total the forward has scored four goals in nine games this season, with his nomination for the PL2 award hailed by City U23s team-mate Jordan Thomas when it was announced.
The right-back posted on Twitter: "We could only imagine what he has to go through on a daily basis and then to be playing at an elite level at the same time and performing how have you have been is just incredible.
- 1 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 4 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 7 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 8 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 9 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 10 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
"The recognition is well deserved and all down to you. Proud of you my brother."
Hutchinson was nominated alongside Chelsea midfielder Faustino Anjorin, Manchester City's former Ipswich Town winger Ben Knight, Leicester striker Admiral Muskwe, Arsenal midfielder Matthew Smith and West Brom forward Rayhaan Tulloch.
It's Swansea striker Liam Cullen who has claimed the award though, which is little surprise after scoring an incredible 10 goals in four matches, earning the 20-year-old Welshman a new contract and his Championship debut.
Norwich players Todd Cantwell and Adam Idah have both previously been nominated for the PL2 monthly award during their academy days, before progressing to first-team level with the Canaries.
Hutchinson was one of six young players to have their contract extended last summer, with his deal set to expire at the end of this season. The Daily Mirror reported in January that Championship club Derby County were among the clubs said to be monitoring that situation.
City's U23s currently sit 10th in the 12-team PL2 Division Two table and are scheduled to next be in action away to West Brom on Monday, February 17.