City win race for 'Semmy'
Norwich City boss Peter Grant has won the race to sign Crewe's former England Under-21 star Jon Otsemobor. The former Liverpool trainee's agent, Eric Walters, confirmed yesterday that the athletic defender will move to Carrow Road on a free transfer when his current contract at the League One club expires next month.
Norwich City boss Peter Grant has won the race to sign Crewe's former England Under-21 star Jon Otsemobor.
The former Liverpool trainee's agent, Eric Walters, confirmed yesterday that the athletic defender will move to Carrow Road on a free transfer when his current contract at the League One club expires next month.
Ostemobor is poised to snub City's Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday and relegated Leeds United in favour of a Norfolk switch. Reports in the north west suggest Ostemobor is scheduled for a medical next week.
“Semmy has agreed to sign for Norwich,” said Walters. “As long as all goes well with his medical and when the time is right Jon wants to join Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
“After this weekend he would be in a position to speak to anyone else, but he has already indicated to me he doesn't want to do that. He has a great feeling about the club.”
Walters admitted the Liverpool-born defender bought into Grant's vision for the future on a scouting trip last month.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 8 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 9 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 10 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
“Crewe gave him permission to come down and he was very impressed,” said Walters. “He had a look around the training facilities with his father and liked what he saw.
“He was also very impressed with the manger who wants to take the club forward. He went away and did a little bit of homework because he didn't know Peter Grant too well, but everyone he talked to in the game spoke very highly of him. Jon got a good vibe and feels this is the best move for the next stage of his career.”
The 24-year-old's consistent displays at Gresty Road earned him a place in last season's PFA League One team of the year.
Ostemobor made 43 league appearances for Dario Gradi's side after joining the club on a permanent deal in January 2006 from Rotherham.
The attacking full-back also had loan spells at Hull and Bolton following his failure to hold down a regular squad place at Anfield in Gerard Houllier's star-studded outfit.
“Jon has a decent pedigree,” said Walters. “He's extremely quick and very, very powerful.
“He made four or five appearances for Liverpool and then had a loan spell in the Premiership at Bolton.
“His career tailed off a little bit for a while, which can happen with young players. He joined Crewe and had a fantastic season in the Championship.
“QPR came in at the end of that season with a bid that was rejected by Dario. When Crewe offered him a new deal he declined to sign it.”