City youth crash out at Newcastle
Newcastle United Youth 3, Norwich City Youth 1: Three goals in 11 minutes was enough to see City Academy's side crash out of the FA Youth Cup against Newcastle United at St James' Park last night.
Newcastle United Youth 3, Norwich City Youth 1
Three goals in 11 minutes was enough to see City Academy's side crash out of the FA Youth Cup against Newcastle United at St James' Park last night.
It could, however, have been so different had the Canaries capitalised on Chris Martin's opening goal on 23 minutes, but there was no stopping the Magpies once they got into their stride and City found it difficult to hold their front line led by the impressive Andrew Carroll.
Following on from his excellent showing at the last round match against Portsmouth, it was Martin once again who caught the eye for City when he forced Mark Cook in the United goal to make a good save.
You may also want to watch:
City keeper Steve Arnold was also called into action turning a header from Ryan Donaldson over the bar.
Arnold again came to City's rescue saving a shot from Carroll, before City opened the scoring after a delightful move involving Bally Smart and Kris Renton who pulled the ball back to Martin who side footed the ball beyond Cook.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 8 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
Kazenea Lualua caught another fine save from Arnold while for the Canaries Smart saw a rising shot clip the crossbar.
With 34 minutes on the clock, the home side drew level when the City defence failed to get a tackle in, allowing Carroll to fire home from the edge of the area. Just eight minutes later City found themselves behind when Lualua cut in from the right to beat Arnold from the tightest of angles.
It went from bad to worse for the Canaries in first-half stoppage time when Carroll was on hand at the far post to head home.
To their credit, City stuck to the task after the break with David Williams using all three substitutes and eventually pushing Michael Spillane up front. It almost paid dividends when both he and Martin had shots cleared off the line although Spillane will feel he should have done better in stoppage time when he blasted over the bar from just 10 yards.
Newcastle: Cook, Bertram, Lough, Morris, Francis, Cavener, Godsmark and (Critchlow x85), Cowan, Carroll, Donaldson, (Doninger 90) Lualua. Subs not used: Debbeage, Patterson and Marwood.
Norwich: Arnold, Matthews, (Kelly 70) Yong (McLean 77), Spillane, Quaye, Bexfield, Eames (0'Toole 60), Lathrope, Renton, Martin, Smart. Subs not used Muddel and Rudd.