Clacton end Diss Town's run

F C Clacton 5, Diss Town 2FC Clacton were looking to win the title. However, despite ending the Diss Town unbeaten run of ten matches they finished second to Great Yarmouth Town.

F C Clacton 5, Diss Town 2

FC Clacton were looking to win the title. However, despite ending the Diss Town unbeaten run of ten matches they finished second to Great Yarmouth Town.

The game was much closer than the final score suggests with home goalkeeper Darren Gould making a number of fine saves.

Gould made his first save in the 21st minute when he tipped over a Simon Jackson following the first of many excellent centres from the left from Stuart Garner.

Two minutes later Jordan Rocastle took the opening goal superbly. He allowed a through ball to run as he turned and moved into space to float the ball over the advancing Gould from 15 yards out before showing his athletic style with a top-quality somersault.

The lead lasted just two minutes with a long throw on the left not fully cleared and Chris Ribchester shooting in from just inside the penalty area.

Most Read

Sam Bryant was denied by a point-blank Gould save in the 30th minute after Rocastle turned a defender on half way and played the ball through.

Another superb cross from Garner in the 37th minute ended with Andy Moody stooping to head low into the corner of the net. This time the lead lasted three minutes.

Matt Waters swung in a free-kick from wide out on the left wing and it sailed over the head of Matty Webster and into the far corner of the net.

Kevin Coyle rattled the underside of the crossbar a minute into first half added time from a great chance but Clacton caught Diss cold 20 seconds into the second half when a fine passing move ended with Waters shooting in from the edge of the penalty area to make it 3-2.

Mark Shadrack cleared off the line after Coyle rounded Webster wide on the right in the 71st minute.

Gould made two brilliant saves to maintain the lead.

In the 73rd minute he tipped over from Rocastle four yards out after Brendan Foley and Moody played on a long through-ball in from George Watts-Sturrock.

The save of the game denied Steve Wright from six yards in the 84th minute following a run and cross from Watts-Sturrock.

Clacton broke to make it 4-2 in the 85th minute although they were claiming a goal-kick with the ball well over their goal line.

Ribchester led the break with Waters racing over half way and crossing for Kyelan Marvell shooting in from 16 yards out. Two minutes into added time Coyle completed the scoring when Diss failed to cut out a through ball.

There was still time for Gould to save from Luke Catchpole and Watts-Sturrock to rattle the underside of the crossbar to a fine chance.

Diss team: Matty Webster, Mark Shadrack, Stuart Garner, Simon Jackson, Brendan Foley, George Watts-Sturrock, Jon Abbott, Luke Catchpole, Andy Moody, Jordan Rocastle, Sam Bryant.

Diss subs: Max Kirkby (for Jackson 87 mins), Steve Wright (for Hooks due to hamstring injury 68 mins), Dave Adams and Peter Hooks (for Abbott due to knee injury 31 mins).

Attendance: 245.