Clevedon Town 2, King’s Lynn 2

Martin Davis Clevedon Town 2, King’s Lynn 2: A draw was a fair result to an even game in which Lynn obtained their first ever point at the Hand Stadium, and thus Jack Defty, whose 250th game it was, continued his unbeaten run of 56 games in which he has scored a goal.

Martin Davis

For their important Southern League Premier Division game at Clevedon, a venue at which the limits had suffered defeat on their previous four visits. They were heartened by the return of the captain Mark Warren to their starting line-up.

Full of confidence after last week's scintillating display in the victory over Swindon Super Marine they were hopeful of ending their dismal record at the Summerset side well appointed hand stadium .

Warren returned in place of Charlie Defty who returned to the bench as Keith Webb went with an otherwise unchanged line-up from last week.

You may also want to watch:

On a day ideal for football despite the recent weather and on a very good playing surface it was the Linnets who got the game under way.

Kings Lynn's Chapman tried to cross from the left wing but his efforts soared through crowded out by two defenders. Then a neat header from Jack Defty bounced unkindly for Danny Bloomfield and the ball was cleared.

Most Read

Mark Camm then tried a deep cross from the left from which Hendy conceded a corner as Jack Defty closed in. From the flag kick taken from Francis, Defty under pressure from a defender headed narrowly wide.

Clevedon whipped in a cross from which centre forward Symmons got in a header which Howie saved. Frew in the 17th minute picked up a ball on the halfway line, made a good run down the touchline and whipped in a cross to Jack Defty who flicked the ball onto Bloomfield, who returned it to Defty to volley home from 12 yards.

It was his 56 goal for the Linnets as he made his 250th appearance for the club.

Crane made a good interception to deny Symmons the ball breaking to Francis whose run and cross down the Lynn left flank was well held by Clevedon goalkeeper Greaves. When Frew conceded a free kick Jack Defty went down in the area and had to be treated by physio Steph Jones as he took the full force of the shot from Clevedon's Steve Cook.

On 25 minutes Page broke through for Clevedon after receiving a good through ball from Sylvester but he lobbed wide as Howie came out to narrow the angle. Sylvester then robbed Francis and played another good ball to Page but once again Howie was quick off his line to smother the danger.

The home side had another shooting chance but Leek drilled his efforts well wide. When Chapman and Leek clashed both received a severe lecture from referee Newell but neither player went into the book.

From the free kick taken by Haines, Mitchell Page headed over the bar. Jack Defty made a firm tackle on Cook who later had to be substituted by Proser. The ball broke to Camm who drove a strong shot just over the bar. Clevedon levelled on 36 minutes from the penalty spot after Chapman was adjudged to have brought down Page.

Kevin Davies scored low to Howie's left hand. A minute later saw Haynes from another free kick find Sylvester who played the ball into the box where Page's header brought a comfortable save from Howie.

King's Lynn had a great opportunity to retake the lead on 42 minutes after Greaves had punched clear a corner, a quick throw in from West found Frew ghosting in on the by-line to set up Jack Defty who missed a great chance from three yards.

Just before the interval a 40 yard run from Francis ended when he was brought down by Scott who was cautioned for the offence. Another Clevedon caution quickly followed as Page went into referee Newell's notebook for encroachment. Francis wasted the kick lifting the ball high over the bar.

t Half time: Clevedon 1, Kings Lynn 1.

Michael Frew gave King's Lynn the lead 11 minutes into the second half. The goal came after a cross from Joe Francis had seen Crane's header cleared off the line by Davies, with Frew netting the rebound from close range.

Jack Defty had a fine run, beating three defenders before finding Bloomfield, who could get no power into his goal attempt and Greaves saved easily.

When Leek whipped in a good cross from the homesters, Warren relieved the pressure with a firm header. Lynn now made their first substitution, with Nolan replacing Bloomfield just after the hour mark. Clevedon responded by making a substitution of their own, bringing on Basset for Symmons.

A deep cross from Davies saw the Clevedon centre-forward win an aerial dual, but Howie easily saved his headed effort. Chapman conceded a corner amid vehement appeals for a penalty from the home crowd, which were waved away by referee Newell. From the flag kick, Jack Defty twice made relieving headers before an offside flag ended the danger.

When Warren conceded a free kick on the Clevedon centre-forward, the home side wasted the effort with a loose ball. A long throw from Leek caused the Lynn defence problems until relieved by the referee awarding a free kick. When Chapman for Lynn was brought down, he took the kick himself, finding Nolan, who showed good chest control, finishing with a shot on the turn which Greaves dived to save.

When West for Lynn crossed a good ball, Hendy got in a good saving header to avert any danger to the home goal. Next Michael Frew needed treatment after becoming the victim of a sandwich, for which Trought received a caution. Another long throw from Clevedon's number 11 Leek saw Crane go down under an aerial challenge, but the big defender recovered without treatment.

Sedgemore conceded a free kick taken by substitute Prosser, which caused a scramble in the Lynn goalmouth, resulting in a corner from which Haines crossed deep to the back post, where centre-half Hendy rose unopposed to head in - an equaliser for the home side after 85 minutes. Clevedon almost scored a third a minute later when a penetrating through-ball caused a goalmouth scramble before being cleared. Davies then went close for a home winner with a vicious, curling shot, which flashed inches wide of Howie's far post, with the keeper beaten.

As both sides searched for a winner, two more players, one for each side, found their way into referee Newell's notebook - Haines for Clevedon and Camm for Lynn - both for fouls. The final goalmouth action saw yet another long throw cause danger to the Lynn goal, when Prosser tried an audacious overhead kick, which again flashed just inches wide of Howie's goal.

A draw was a fair result to an even game in which Lynn obtained their first ever point at the Hand Stadium, and thus Jack Defty, whose 250th game it was, continued his unbeaten run of 56 games in which he has scored a goal.

Final score: Clevedon Town 2, King's Lynn 2.

t Kings Lynn: Howie: West: Chapman; Warren; Crane; Camm; Frew; Sedgemore; Jack Defty; Bloomfield; Fancis

Subs: Turner; Nolan; Charlie Defty; Fisk; Murrey

t Clevedon Town: Greaves; Davies; Haynes; Scott; Hendy; Rought; Sylvester; Cook; Symmonds; Page; Leek

Subs: Fraiser; Bassatt; Brigham

t Referee: A.Newell

t Attendance 212

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus