Clubs rally round to help Great Yarmouth Town
Football followers across Norfolk and Suffolk are being urged to turn out to support a fund-raising match in aid of crisis club Great Yarmouth Town on Tuesday.
The game has been organised in support of Great Yarmouth Town FC – to help keep the proud Ridgeons league club alive.
Fellow Ridgeons League club Kirkley and Pakefield have rallied round to host the match in aid of the Bloaters at Walmer Road on Tuesday, February 21.
The match is being backed by league leaders Wroxham, and Gorleston FC, with management at those two clubs – David Batch and Richard Daniels – lining up for guest appearances alongside K&P boss Paul Tong in a mixed Royals side that includes a selection of the first team squad.
Former Norwich City favourites Greg Shepherd and Greg Downs will also team up with former Lowestoft Town players – including Darren Cockrill and Gary McGee – in the K&P squad, which is managed by club coach Robbie Horton and assistant Russell Stock.
You may also want to watch:
They will face a Gt Yarmouth Town FC squad, featuring players past and present, in the match that kicks off at 7.45pm. Entry costs �4 for adults and �2 for children. The officials for the game have also agreed to waive their fees and expenses. “This game is the idea of Mike Guymer, K&P’s first team administration manager, who wanted to raise funds to ensure that Great Yarmouth Town FC remained in existence following the news that they were suffering serious financial hardship,” a K&P spokesman said.
K&P then offered to stage the game at Walmer Road with all monies received from the gate, raffle money and a percentage of bar takings on the night to be passed to Great Yarmouth Town FC. Suffolk FA have given the match the go-ahead and this week Guymer said: “We were aware that Yarmouth Town had financial problems so I thought I would see if I could get a game on for them to raise a few bob. “My first port of call was Bob Jenkerson, K&P chairman, who gave me permission to go ahead with trying to organise the game. I contacted around 20 of the local clubs, with Wroxham FC keen to help and they will also be supplying a merchandise stall on the night, with all profits going to Yarmouth,” he added.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 2 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 5 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 8 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 9 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
- 10 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
Among the players set to make guest appearances are: Marty Hubble (K&P assistant), James Hutchinson (K&P Reserves manager), Mark Hood (K&P Reserves assistant), Jon Edridge (Wroxham FC), Craig Lewis and Dale Haylock (ex-Lowestoft FC) and Adrian Harris (ex-Gorleston).