Colt Jags beat leaders Bungay
Colt Jags Ladies continued their fine run of form by beating the current league leaders Bungay 2-1.
The game started at a real pace, with Bungay in control and pushing Jags back into their own half.
However, the Jags were able to soak up the pressure and gradually started to get themselves into the game.
About 15 minutes into the half Colt Jags scored their first goal courtesy of Leanne “Woody” Woodward who capitalised on a mistake by the keeper.
The ball had been played forward by Laura Hedtke and, under pressure from Woody and the Jags forwards, the keeper who had come well out of the goal, missed the ball in trying to clear it and so Woody was able to calmly slot the ball into the back of the empty net.
You may also want to watch:
The goal came against the run of play but, spurred on, Colt Jags then started to play the ball around a bit more in their usual style.
The game continued fairly evenly with neither side able to get a shot on goal.
- 1 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 2 City keeper issues injury update
- 3 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 4 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 5 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 6 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 7 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 10 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
However, Colt Jags’ second goal followed shortly, after a foul by one of the Bungay defenders on Natasha Snelling just inside Bungay’s half.
Tash had the foresight to take the free-kick quickly and played a superb long ball across the pitch so that it landed perfectly in the path of Woody. She took one touch and then shot across the keeper and into the back of the net.
As the minutes of the half ticked down, Bungay managed to pull a goal back after a very good shot dipped over the top of the keeper’s outstretched fingers.
The second half didn’t start quite so quickly as the heavy pitch appeared to start taking its toll on all players.
No further goals were forthcoming even though Colt Jags had a couple of good efforts saved by the Bungay keeper.
As the end of the game approached Bungay tried their best to find an equaliser, even hitting a post, but the Colt Jags defence matched them and were able to keep Bungay at bay.
It was another great result for Colt Jags who have now gone five games unbeaten since Christmas.
Team: L Gosling, T Leah, S Nice, C Tallent, N Myhill, J Telfer, C Gunning, L Hedtke (C), L Woodward, N Snelling, N Robson, L Strike. Julie Neate - Manager.