Colt Jags beat leaders Bungay
Colt Jags Ladies continued their fine run of form by beating the current league leaders Bungay 2-1.
The game started at a real pace, with Bungay in control and pushing Jags back into their own half.
However, the Jags were able to soak up the pressure and gradually started to get themselves into the game.
About 15 minutes into the half Colt Jags scored their first goal courtesy of Leanne “Woody” Woodward who capitalised on a mistake by the keeper.
The ball had been played forward by Laura Hedtke and, under pressure from Woody and the Jags forwards, the keeper who had come well out of the goal, missed the ball in trying to clear it and so Woody was able to calmly slot the ball into the back of the empty net.
You may also want to watch:
The goal came against the run of play but, spurred on, Colt Jags then started to play the ball around a bit more in their usual style.
The game continued fairly evenly with neither side able to get a shot on goal.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 3 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 4 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 Hanley insists winning title 'means everything' to Canaries
- 8 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 9 Watford wanted to stop promoted City enjoying 'showcase game'
- 10 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
However, Colt Jags’ second goal followed shortly, after a foul by one of the Bungay defenders on Natasha Snelling just inside Bungay’s half.
Tash had the foresight to take the free-kick quickly and played a superb long ball across the pitch so that it landed perfectly in the path of Woody. She took one touch and then shot across the keeper and into the back of the net.
As the minutes of the half ticked down, Bungay managed to pull a goal back after a very good shot dipped over the top of the keeper’s outstretched fingers.
The second half didn’t start quite so quickly as the heavy pitch appeared to start taking its toll on all players.
No further goals were forthcoming even though Colt Jags had a couple of good efforts saved by the Bungay keeper.
As the end of the game approached Bungay tried their best to find an equaliser, even hitting a post, but the Colt Jags defence matched them and were able to keep Bungay at bay.
It was another great result for Colt Jags who have now gone five games unbeaten since Christmas.
Team: L Gosling, T Leah, S Nice, C Tallent, N Myhill, J Telfer, C Gunning, L Hedtke (C), L Woodward, N Snelling, N Robson, L Strike. Julie Neate - Manager.