Cornwall wraps up points for Swaffham at Team Bury
Team Bury 0 Swaffham Town 1 Each time these two young and exciting teams have met over the past seasons, they have produced quality and entertainment, and Saturday’s Ridgeons League Division One encounter continued the trend.
The home side kicked off and immediately pushed forward, keeper Dean ‘Rocky’ Mayes needing to make a good stop following a long through ball beating the Pedlars’ back four. The counter saw good football between Jack Redhead, Nathan Cross and Richard Cornwall to set striker Joe Jackson through, his shot deflected for a corner.
Redhead came close in the 15th minute, a free-kick by Dwayne Hockton, chested down by Cornwall, the volley clearing the bar by inches. There was a fright for Swaffham in the 23rd minute – a long through ball from the Bury keeper freed the number 10 to lob Mayes, the ball bouncing over the bar.
The break came in the 25th minute, Redhead driving forward, feeding Jackson, and his chipped cross was met by Cornwall’s head, beating the keeper at the near post. The pressure was now on the home side, as the Pedlars composed themselves and settled to play passing football, with good interaction in the midfield between Redhead, Scott Voutt and Will O’Brien.
Bury started the second half with determination, forcing Matthew Parkinson to make a great tackle inside the box to deny the number nine. Tension mounted in the 55th minute, when Bury had a penalty awarded for Mayes bringing down the number seven. Mayes was furious, adamant there was no contact, but justice restored when the penalty was missed.
You may also want to watch:
Swaffham dug in and stood strong, further opportunities coming to Daren Hockton, narrowly shooting wide, and just before the final whistle, Jackson still trying to open his goal account for this season, breaking free and pushing wide of the post.
It was a sound performance by the Pedlars in preparation for their FA Vase encounter next Saturday, where they will be welcoming Felixstowe & Walton United to Shoemakers Lane for this all-Ridgeons League clash, kick off 3pm.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 3 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 4 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 5 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 6 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 7 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 8 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 9 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
- 10 Norwich City v Bristol City - all you need to know
Midweek, the Under 18s Youth team travel to Great Yarmouth Town for Wednesday’s FA Youth Cup fixture – an exciting opportunity for the club’s newest team and the football club are delighted to be able to give them the chance to play in this national competition.
Kick-off at the Wellesley is 7.45pm.
The Reserves travel to Marlingford (2pm) and the A team visit Dereham Town A (3pm).