Costessey lift cup after penalties drama
- Credit: Archant
Costessey Ladies lifted the Norfolk Sevens League Cup on Sunday after a dramatic penalty shoot-out.
They beat Hellesdon Belles after an epic tussle at Plantation Park, Blofield, which had ended 1-1 in normal time.
Extra time produced no further goals so it went to penalties, with Costessey netting two to Belles’ one.
Costessey coach Yvonne Howes said: “It was a tremendous game and a shame there had to be a winner and loser, it was so close to call.
“I feel this game was a fantastic example of the quality in the league. I hope it may inspire a few new teams to join up.”
You may also want to watch:
Jane Diver scored Costessey’s goal with a back header from a long throw-in, a carbon copy of how Belles had scored earlier, and the two scorers in the penalty shoot-out were Kayleigh Ellwood and Laura Burrows.
Costessey’s player of the match was Lindsey Betts.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 5 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 6 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 7 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 8 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- 10 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion
It meant Costessey did the double this season and were presented with the league trophy too.
If any Norfolk teams would like to join the Sevens League, which plays on grass pitches on Sundays, contact Viv Thomas by emailing email@example.com