Costessey lift cup after penalties drama
- Credit: Archant
Costessey Ladies lifted the Norfolk Sevens League Cup on Sunday after a dramatic penalty shoot-out.
They beat Hellesdon Belles after an epic tussle at Plantation Park, Blofield, which had ended 1-1 in normal time.
Extra time produced no further goals so it went to penalties, with Costessey netting two to Belles’ one.
Costessey coach Yvonne Howes said: “It was a tremendous game and a shame there had to be a winner and loser, it was so close to call.
“I feel this game was a fantastic example of the quality in the league. I hope it may inspire a few new teams to join up.”
You may also want to watch:
Jane Diver scored Costessey’s goal with a back header from a long throw-in, a carbon copy of how Belles had scored earlier, and the two scorers in the penalty shoot-out were Kayleigh Ellwood and Laura Burrows.
Costessey’s player of the match was Lindsey Betts.
- 1 Former Norwich City chief set for Hibs
- 2 Canaries' ace Billy Gilmour belts out karaoke classic in city
- 3 Canaries Q&A: City prepare for Coventry and Sheffield United
- 4 Connor Southwell: Norwich City's stability starts with Delia
- 5 Norwich City loan watch: Ahadme on target again for Pompey
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Reported target set to snub Canaries
- 7 City will have away fans at Sheffield United
- 8 'A great guy' - Tributes to much-loved City fan who travelled home and away
- 9 Norwich City Under-23s to play some matches at The Walks
- 10 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
It meant Costessey did the double this season and were presented with the league trophy too.
If any Norfolk teams would like to join the Sevens League, which plays on grass pitches on Sundays, contact Viv Thomas by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org