Costessey lift cup after penalties drama
- Credit: Archant
Costessey Ladies lifted the Norfolk Sevens League Cup on Sunday after a dramatic penalty shoot-out.
They beat Hellesdon Belles after an epic tussle at Plantation Park, Blofield, which had ended 1-1 in normal time.
Extra time produced no further goals so it went to penalties, with Costessey netting two to Belles’ one.
Costessey coach Yvonne Howes said: “It was a tremendous game and a shame there had to be a winner and loser, it was so close to call.
“I feel this game was a fantastic example of the quality in the league. I hope it may inspire a few new teams to join up.”
You may also want to watch:
Jane Diver scored Costessey’s goal with a back header from a long throw-in, a carbon copy of how Belles had scored earlier, and the two scorers in the penalty shoot-out were Kayleigh Ellwood and Laura Burrows.
Costessey’s player of the match was Lindsey Betts.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
- 2 FARKE: Full roll call on City's injured stars
- 3 Limited number of tickets left for fans ahead of Wednesday and Forest matches
- 4 Through troubled waters to unexpected success - Farke reflects on spell as City boss
- 5 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 6 Di Cunningham: Young talent will not be hindered under Farke and Webber's watch
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 9 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 10 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
It meant Costessey did the double this season and were presented with the league trophy too.
If any Norfolk teams would like to join the Sevens League, which plays on grass pitches on Sundays, contact Viv Thomas by emailing email@example.com