Costessey lift cup after penalties drama
- Credit: Archant
Costessey Ladies lifted the Norfolk Sevens League Cup on Sunday after a dramatic penalty shoot-out.
They beat Hellesdon Belles after an epic tussle at Plantation Park, Blofield, which had ended 1-1 in normal time.
Extra time produced no further goals so it went to penalties, with Costessey netting two to Belles’ one.
Costessey coach Yvonne Howes said: “It was a tremendous game and a shame there had to be a winner and loser, it was so close to call.
“I feel this game was a fantastic example of the quality in the league. I hope it may inspire a few new teams to join up.”
You may also want to watch:
Jane Diver scored Costessey’s goal with a back header from a long throw-in, a carbon copy of how Belles had scored earlier, and the two scorers in the penalty shoot-out were Kayleigh Ellwood and Laura Burrows.
Costessey’s player of the match was Lindsey Betts.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 10 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
It meant Costessey did the double this season and were presented with the league trophy too.
If any Norfolk teams would like to join the Sevens League, which plays on grass pitches on Sundays, contact Viv Thomas by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org