Cringleford double swoop nets former Norwich City duo Iwan Roberts and Darren Eadie
Cringleford Veterans have added some star quality to the mix with a daring double swoop for ex-Canary heroes Iwan Roberts and Darren Eadie.
The deadly duo, both members of the Norwich City Hall of fame, made their debuts on Sunday – much to the astonishment of their new team-mates as well as opponents Sprowston Wanderers.
Manager Ecky Limon used all of his persuasive powers to get the duo on board after they visited the Last Wine Bar he co-owns in the city.
He revealed: “They have both been customers over the years and we have become good friends. I was short of a couple of players and we got talking on Saturday night and what started out as a silly idea, by the end of the night became a good idea and they both agreed to play.”
After signing on before the match, the duo,who terrorised some of the best defences in the land in their heydays, wasted no time in making their mark on the pitch.
You may also want to watch:
They both played the full 90 minutes helping visitors Cringleford to a 4-2 win in the Norfolk County FA Veterans League Premier Division encounter.
John Allison, and Chris Drummee netted for Sprowston, while Roberts (Norwich City’s 96- goal third-ranked all time top scorer), Mick Sanders and Karl Izzard (2) clinched the points for third-placed Cringleford.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 6 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 7 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 9 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
“Iwan scored with a trademark bullet header at the far post and Darren showed his skills with that lovely left foot of his,” said Ecky.
“It was like both of them had been playing for us for years. I don’t know how many games they will be playing for us but I said I will let them know when there is a game and they can say yes or no.”
League leaders Costessey Harte rescued a point at home to Wymondham College Roseberrians having twice been behind.
With the score at 2-1 to the visitors a last-minute free kick was curled home to ensure the leaders remained unbeaten in the league this season.
The Championship saw a close contest between Costessey Sports and Swaffham who sit at opposite ends of the table, and it took a Trevor Lamb penalty to separate the sides as Costessey Sports ran out 2-1 winners.
The final match of the day saw a complete goalfest as St Faiths ran out 7-3 winners over CNSOBU. Allan Kennedy (2), Nigel Baxter (2), Martin Butcher, Gary Earl and Darrin Heathershaw recorded strikes for St Faiths whilst all three of CNSOBU’s goals came courtesy of their substitutes – Trevor Everson, David Kendrick and Charles Uddin.