Croft completes Derby move
Lee Croft has completed his free transfer to Derby County - and has his sights on promotion to the Premier League. The former Norwich City winger has joined the Rams on a three-year deal.
Lee Croft has completing his free transfer to Derby County - and has his sights on promotion to the Premier League.
The former Norwich City winger has joined the Rams on a three-year deal.
Croft was available for no fee under the Bosman ruling after turning 24 on Sunday, and manager Nigel Clough was delighted to tie up the deal.
Croft is now looking forward to linking up with his new team-mates and coaching staff when Derby report for the start of pre-season next Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
“I am delighted with this move and I can't wait to get started with pre-season training,” said Croft.
“Derby showed me their intentions early and showed how much they wanted me, which was a big factor in me wanting to come here.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 6 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
- 7 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 8 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 9 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 10 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
“Derby is a huge club with a great history and tradition, a tremendous support base and I feel there is a lot of synergy in both the club's and my ambition.
“There is also a good squad of players here already and with the improvement that the gaffer is looking to make I have no doubt that we can have success and push for promotion.”
Croft, voted player of the season at Carrow Road in 2008-09, rejected a new deal with the Canaries after they were relegated from the Championship.
Clough said: “This is a terrific capture for us and fills a position in the team where we need extra quality.
“Lee is an exciting talent who is proven at this level and above and has a great attitude.
“He has shown a great desire to play for Derby County as well and these are the types of players and characters I want at this football club as we look to progress and improve.”
Wigan-born Croft began his career with Manchester City and made 32 appearances for the club, while also earning England Under-20 honours.
He joined the Canaries for �600,000 in the summer of 2006 and made 131 senior appearances, scoring nine goals.