Croft poised to complete Derby move
Former Norwich City winger Lee Croft's move to Derby County is almost complete.The Rams' chairman of football, Adam Pearson, has revealed a deal is all but done to take Croft to Pride Park on a Bosman free transfer.
Former Norwich City winger Lee Croft's move to Derby County is almost complete.
The Rams' chairman of football, Adam Pearson, has revealed a deal is all but done to take Croft to Pride Park on a Bosman free transfer.
And he reckons the 24-year-old will be one of the best free captures of the summer.
The Canaries agreed to release player of the season Croft from his contract just before it was due to expire.
You may also want to watch:
“We are getting really close on Lee Croft and should be able to make an announcement on that around the middle of next week,” Pearson told the Derby Telegraph.
“He is someone we targeted really early and we're now virtually there on the deal.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries make bid for Peterborough ace
- 3 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 4 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 5 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 6 'He came crying' - Former coach details Giannoulis left-back conversion
- 7 'There isn't one team that stands out' - Bees' boss on promotion fight
- 8 Boro set to sign Premier League forward ahead of Norwich trip
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 Connor Southwell: Sorting Todd’s contract is City’s next big mission
“We knew there would be competition for him, so we went in really early and put a concrete offer on the table.
“We are aware of two or three other clubs who were interested in him.
“But he knows all about Derby and the size of the club, which is important to him.
“Lee thinks it will be the right environment for him and we think he is the right type of player for us.”
Pearson added: “We feel that Lee is one of the best Bosman signings you could make this summer.
“He is 24 next week, so he is still young, he works hard, has got good pace and wants to get back in the Premier League.
“He fills what was a problem position for us last season.
“We feel if we have got Lee Croft as an option down the right-hand side, with Steve Davies or Gary Teale down the left-hand side, then we are starting to look more balanced.
“Lee was very successful at Norwich last season, in a struggling team, and we expect him to be a good addition for us this year.”
Croft made 131 appearances and scored nine goals for the Canaries after joining them from Manchester City for �600,000 in the summer of 2006.
Last season he played 44 times, scoring five goals.