D-Day looms for City boss
Michael Bailey Bryan Gunn is set to decide in the next couple of days on two of this summer's triallists while he is keeping his cards close to his chest over another in the shape of former Barcelona B striker Goran Maric.
Bryan Gunn is set to decide in the next couple of days on two of this summer's triallists while he is keeping his cards close to his chest over another in the shape of former Barcelona B striker Goran Maric.
As Norwich City's pre-season schedule approaches the final straight the Canaries boss revealed Maric has given him an answer to the club's tabled offer, while Danish defender Jens Berthel Askou impressed during his 90 minutes against a Manchester United XI on Saturday and 22-year-old striker Kris Bright also showed some good touches during his 21-minute second-half appearance.
“I have received the answer, but I am not in a position to tell you what it is,” Gunn said of Maric, who played in City's three Scottish tour friendlies. “We will keep that one under wraps for a couple of days.”
Maric was on trial at Crystal Palace - who Norwich play tomorrow - earlier this summer, before joining up with the Canaries on trial. Whether the front man is unveiled as an Eagle or a Canary at Selhurst Park remains to be seen.
But Gunn appears to have prepared a plan B in the shape of Bright. The New Zealander is a free agent after leaving Greek side FC Panserraikos and having scored more than a goal a game for Norwegian second division side Kristiansund BK two seasons ago.
- 1 City old boy Martin rebuffed job interest amid Watford reports
- 2 'They've handled this badly but I'm glad Teemu won' - fans react to Pukki POTS award
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in West Brom's Kipre
- 4 Canaries on the right track with Dean Smith, insists Zimmermann
- 5 'Why are the disillusioned leaving their calling card by way of an empty seat?'
- 6 Fears Spurs fans may infiltrate home end at Norwich City match
- 7 Ian Clarke: Time for City to end miserable season with a big scalp
- 8 Teemu Pukki named as Norwich City Player of the Season
- 9 Chris Sutton: Pukki is a Norwich legend... Now they must keep him
- 10 PODCAST: A City point to discuss as attentions turn to next season
“He came on and showed some nice touches as well,” said Gunn of the 6ft 2in striker. “We will have a think about it over the weekend and we have got some decisions to make.”
As for Askou, the stylish defender looked the pick of City's defenders for most of Saturday's friendly.
Gunn said: “It is not just me making a decision, obviously it would be down to Jens as well and if we come to an agreement.”
The City boss may also consider swooping for one of United's starlets, with Tom Cleverley, who was on loan at League One Leicester City last season, rumoured to be a target.
Gunn admitted he would be looking to hold talks with United reserve team boss Solskjaer very soon.
“We will be having a chat and there might be a text message going to the Far East as well,” said Gunn.