City starlet making headlines in Ecuador
- Credit: Tony Thrussell
Norwich City starlet Dan Adshead has been making headlines in South America after Ecuador’s under-20s coach seemed to indicate he was considering the midfielder for selection - but it appears there may have been a mix up.
Adshead, who has been capped by England’s under-18s and 19s, has been the subject of reports from Ecuador in recent days after Jorge Celico, the under-20s coach, appeared to suggest the country was scouting the City youngster with a view to an international call-up.
It’s understood Adshead is not thought to be eligible for Ecuador however, suggesting Celico’s comments may have been based on inaccurate information.
The 18-year-old joined the Canaries from Rochdale last summer for an undisclosed fee and has been playing primarily in the under-23s and FA Youth Cup squad for City this season.
Born in Manchester, Adshead joined City from the League One club despite being linked with moves to Manchester City, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
You may also want to watch:
He is yet to feature in a senior fixture for City, but was pictured participating in Daniel Farke’s intra-squad friendly held at Carrow Road earlier this week as the Canaries continue their preparations for the Premier League’s restart next Friday.
Adshead netted on his England under-19s debut against Georgia in September - something that has prompted Ecuador to scout the midfielder.
- 1 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 4 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 7 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 8 How Trent and Walker are shaping City star's progression
- 9 City’s big chance to prove there is ‘one team that stands out’
- 10 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
Celico, formerly manager of the senior men’s side, has outlined plans for the country to scout several players who have links to Ecuador, with Adshead one of the players seemingly on his radar.
“He plays in Norwich City, he is a midfielder with very good technical conditions, maybe not so much the physical ones but technical ones, we are fully scouting,” said Celico, in an interview with the Área Deportiva FM.
“I spoke with Antonio Cordon who is in Europe and is finding out everything about this boy, he even got me some images of him.
“Just like him, there are several more, several more boys that we found out and we have followed up on.”
- We spoke to Adshead about his move to City during pre-season last year, you can watch that interview in the video above