Failed Liverpool move has done Lewis a favour, says ex-Norwich City defender
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jamal Lewis’ career will progress quicker with Newcastle United than it would have done at Liverpool - that’s the verdict of former Norwich City defender Danny Mills.
Lewis signed a five-year deal at St James’ Park on Tuesday for a fee understood to be £15m plus add-ons but things could have been very different had Liverpool followed up their interest after having an £8m rejected.
Liverpool, who were looking for back-up to first choice Andy Robertson, turned their attention to Greek left back Kostas Tsimikas and Lewis’ dream move was off the table.
However, the 22-year-old has now got his move to the Premier League with the Magpies and Mills believes it is a better switch for the youngster.
“Lewis is likely to play at Newcastle,” said Mills, who made 73 appearances for Norwich between 1995 and 1998. “He certainly was not going to play at Liverpool. As a young player you are better off going and playing, knowing that you are really wanted somewhere. You want to be vital to a side.”
You may also want to watch:
Mills added to Football Insider: “I think it would be a really good move for Lewis. He may have wanted to go to the Premier League champions but there is no point if you are not going to play. It becomes a token gesture so going to Newcastle is a good move for all parties.”
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 10 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win