Danny’s triple sees Dereham Town go top

RIDGEONS PREMIER: A Danny Beaumont hat-trick helped Dereham Town to gain top spot in the Ridgeons Premier League with a 4-0 win over visitors Hadleigh.

“It was another good performance in difficult conditions – we got the ball down and worked hard. Very pleased,” he said.

“Danny Beaumont got a hat-trick, great stuff for him. He has scored fourteen goals in ten games I think,” said Henman, adding that everyone in the team had been working hard and there was a good level of commitment.

“We are now the only unbeaten side in both Ridgeons divisions,” he said. “We have had a good start to the season but you want to be top at the end of the season!

“We have managed to win in different styles, sometimes we have ground out a result and battled, sometimes we have produced some really good football.”

Hadleigh keeper Aaron Benstead denied the Magpies three times in the opening few minutes before Beaumont netted his first in the 12th minute.

After latching onto Adam Smith’s perfect through-ball the striker superbly slotted home with two defenders at his heels.

Most Read

Beaumont increased the lead in the 26th minute when sub Sam Groves chipped the ball into the left-hand side of the box and, with keeper Benstead hesitant, he beat him to the ball and netted from an acute angle.

Beaumont completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot in the 58th minute after a player had handled.

Dereham comtinued to dominate and Steve Harley completed the scoring in the 70th minute to seal a comprehensive victory.

At Great Yarmouth, the Bloaters drew 1-1 with visiting Ely.

The Bloaters were unbeaten in home league matches all last season but they are still looking for that elusive first Wellesley win of this campaign following two defeats and their third 1-1 draw at home on Saturday.

In difficult conditions Ely proved a tough nut to crack, and indeed it was the visitors who took the lead after 21 minutes with a superb 35-yard free kick from Adam Dalby that flew over the head of Youth keeper Jake Jessup and in under the angle of bar and post.

Yarmouth faced the weather in the first half and Ely forced eight corners but Yarmouth defended well with Gareth Palmer and Martyn Magee taking the eye.

Immediately the teams changed round, it was Yarmouth’s turn to go close when a Scott Woodcock corner caused mayhem in the Ely goalmouth but Lee Pacey eventually collected the ball on the line.

A superb tackle by Joe Bell broke up a threatening Ely raid and Yarmouth almost immediately profited but Jake Reed’s shot, after latching onto a long Magee clearance, flew wide. However, the equaliser came two minutes later after Kevin Howes had been fouled.

Woodcock’s free-kick again caused panic in the visitors’ goalmouth and after several attempts by the Bloaters it was substitute Gavin Norman who finally shot home.

Both keepers then produced outstanding saves but it was the Robins who went closest when Nick Impey’s shot hit the bar and bounced over with a quarter of an hour to go.

“After last weekend’s heroics at Lynn, it was a bit of ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’,” said Bloaters’ boss Paul Tong. “But it was difficult for both sides and probably a fair result on the day. Young Jake Jessup in goal did very well, Dominic Smith was outstanding in the middle, and Martyn Magee held the defence together. If I have one criticism it was that we didn’t get the ball in their box enough, but really I’m just full of praise for the young lads, and especially Lee Roscoe who came in from the Youth team for his first senior appearance of the season,” he added.

Meanwhile, Norwich United fell to a 4-1 defeat at Wivenhoe with Ross King scoring the Planters’ only goal just before the break to reduce the arrears to 2-1.

There was disappointment for Wroxham, who lost 2-1 at Stanway.

The hosts’ J Ricks had scored twice then with about five minutes to go Ross Durrant was brought down in the penalty box – giving Damian Hilton the chance of putting the spot-kick away, which he took. Only one minute later, Wroxham had a clear penalty denied for hand-ball but it was not to be and this defeat brought to an end a five-match unbeaten run.

Meanwhile, Mildenhall returned from Clacton with a win by the same margin of 2-1.

Debenham LC lost 2-1 to visiting Newmarket while Wisbech came away from Walsham-le-Willows with a 2-1 victory.

Kirkley & Pakefield travelled to Haverhill and it ended 0-0 while it was also honours even between Woodbridge and visitors CRC with a 1-1 scoreline.