Day to forget for Mousehold

Mousehold Reserves 2, Sprowston Beehive 8It was a very disappointing day for Mousehold Reserves, and a poor performance resulting in a frankly embarrassing scoreline.

Mousehold Reserves 2, Sprowston Beehive 8

It was a very disappointing day for Mousehold Res, and a poor performance resulting in a frankly embarrassing scoreline.

The first 10 minutes were very encouraging. It was eight minutes in when Sprowston scored the first goal, beating the Mousehold defence ending up one-on-one with the keeper, who had no chance to save.

However, within one minute Mousehold had levelled the score when Andy Wenn went straight through the defence picking up a pass from Chris Vines on the way and tapped it straight in.

However, less than 10 seconds from the kick-off Sprowston had scored again, their mid-field took the ball, passed just once and scored.

From that point on it was all downhill for the rest of the first half.

Most Read

Eighteen minutes in and Sprowston scored again, a long hoof from 30 yards out straight over the keeper's hand as he leapt for it, and tucked as neat as you like just under the crossbar.

Twenty-two minutes and after some controversial decisions Sprowston netted a penalty.

Sprowston made it 5-1 when their striker put the ball straight through defender James Earley's legs and into the net from 10 yards.

The half-time team talk was never going to be pleasant, and there were inevitably some changes in formation.

Tom Wingfield was taken off injured and Jason Brooks came on. Nine minutes into the second half, Sprowston scored again.

Shortly afterwards Matt Brown came off to bring Paul Mitchell on and facilitate another formation change. And only a few minutes later Mousehold's fortunes took another downturn, when Andy Wenn again let his frustrations get the better of him, and was red carded taking Mousehold down to just 10 men.

With 21 minutes remaining Bruno Pinto, who had been running himself ragged throughout the game was exhausted, so came off and Rob Stibbon took the field.

Rob's usual position is keeper, but he was put up front with the instruction to make a nuisance of himself and chase down every ball.

However, after seven minutes on the pitch he did a bit more than that. Nick Tyrrell had taken the ball through the defence up the right, and rather than take a shot from a narrow angle cut it back to Rob, who scored his first goal since 1992 in any competition!

Unfortunately this wasn't going to be enough on its own to turn around the game, and Sprowston got one more goal five minutes later to take the final score to 8-2.

Although the second half was a far better performance from Mousehold, Howard Davis the manager expressed himself very disappointed with the overall performance.

Man of the Match: Bruno Pinto for his determination and effort throughout.