‘They haven’t played this Aston Villa yet’ - Smith’s warning to Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Dean Smith has warned Norwich City ‘you’ve seen nothing yet’ ahead of their visit to Carrow Road on Saturday.
The Canaries doubled Villa last season, famously clinching the Championship title in the away fixture.
Smith then led Villa through the play-offs and into the Premier League and is relishing the top-flight showdown.
"Their manager hasn't changed his philosophy and they haven't changed their squad too much," he told Villa's official web site.
"They will play a similar way to what they comfortably won the league with last season.
You may also want to watch:
"I believe they only lost six games last season which just goes to show how well they did. They have beaten Man City at Carrow Road already this season, too. So it's a tough game but every single one in this league is.
"We have full respect for what they are and what they did last season and who they are now.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 8 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 9 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
- 10 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
"But one thing, in the two results they had against us last season, they haven't played against this Aston Villa yet.
"Tyrone hasn't played against them. John (McGinn) hasn't played against them. There are a number of players who haven't played against Norwich City with us yet.
"It'll be an interesting game and one we're looking forward to."
Smith admitted he had looked at signing City hotshot Teemu Pukki when he was manager at Brentford.
Pukki - who has scored six Premier League goals already this season - played for Schalke, Celtic and Brondby before moving to Carrow Road in the summer of 2018 - and Smith sais he had watched him "a number of times" when he was with the Scottish giants between 2013 and 2015.
"I had a look at him when I was Brentford coach, in all honesty," said Smith.
"He's a good player, he scored a lot of goals last season.
"I've seen him play a number of times for Celtic as well when he was there. He certainly upped his level last season and then has started the season well this, scoring goals again.
"He's a handful and one our centre-backs have to very wary of."