Debut to forget ends with Heggs red card

Paddy Davitt Buxton 2, King's Lynn 1: King's Lynn player/boss Carl Heggs was sent off on his debut in last night's Unibond Premier Division defeat at the Silverlands.

Paddy Davitt

Buxton 2, King's Lynn 1

King's Lynn player/boss Carl Heggs was sent off on his debut in last night's Unibond Premier Division defeat at the Silverlands.

Heggs was dismissed ten minutes after the interval for a second yellow card following an innocuous trip inside the Buxton box on Steve Ridley. He was one of seven Lynn players cautioned, triggering an automatic fine.

The former West Brom, Carlisle and Rushden striker was making his senior club debut in a bid to pep up the Linnets attack after Saturday's FA Cup exit at Bury.

Lynn also included Rushden loan signing Bobby Aisien at centre half after Heggs confirmed he had released Craig McAughtrie and midfielder Jamie Oliver in the wake of the club's cup exit.

Most Read

Gavin Knight pounced to nudge the Bucks in front but Joe Magunda scrambled home a messy equaliser in first half stoppage time.

Lynn looked comfortable even after Heggs' dismissal until Aisien tried to swivel inside his own six yard box but ran straight into Kieran Lugsden who lashed past Danny Gay.

Zak Martin replaced Jay Smedley in the only other change to Lynn's FA Cup line-up as Heggs reverted to a four man defensive unit.

Heggs introduced himself to marker Scott Maxfield inside the opening seconds with a crunching challenge.

Ryan Beswick looked a useful outlet down the left in his favoured wide position in the early sparring - picking out Matty Birley who fired over.

Danny Spencer screwed a left footed half volley wide from an acute angle before Heggs tried an acrobatic bicycle kick which dropped for his striker partner who drilled behind.

Knight reacted quickest to fire Buxton ahead eight yards out after Andy Boyce had failed to deal with Lugsden's corner.

Heggs was booked for a sliding late challenge on keeper Scott Hartley from the restart.

Knight almost punished Boyce again after latching on to Hartley's punt but his half volley flew over Gay's bar.

Magunda dragged Lynn level in first half stoppage time with the final touch after Owen Story helped on Heggs' initial knockdown.

Heggs' glancing header rolled a yard wide on the restart before his shot on the turn flew off target but the Linnets' boss received his marching orders seconds later after Ridley went over his outstretched leg.

Lynn's ten men upped the ante with Beswick stealing around the back post before Boyce slammed a snapshot against the bar.

But Lynn's young backline switched off at a quick free kick when Lungsden sneaked up on Aisien's blind side to fire past Gay from close range after the Rushden man dallied in possession.

Magunda and Spencer were cautioned after a minor melee erupted following Magunda's petulant challenge on Lungsden.

Jordan Smith's half volley swung wide as Lynn's second half fire began to dim before Ridley skied over with Buxton looking for a decisive third.

Boyce spurned a golden chance to equalise deep in stoppage time - lifting over at the back post from two yards after Gay had gone up for a corner.

t Buxton: Hartley, Wilcox, Ridley, Liversedge, Anderson, Maxfield, Lugsden, Towey, Reed (McGaw 81), Knight, Millar (Stevens 78). Subs (not used): Collins, Agus, Pugh.

Bookings: Reed, Lungsden

Goals: Knight (33), Lugsden (66)

t King's Lynn: Gay, Magunda, Martin, Lloyd (Webb 62), Boyce, Aisien, Story (Smith 66), Birley, Heggs, Spencer (Davey 73), Beswick. Subs (not used): Smedley, McAnally.

Bookings: Beswick, Birley, Magunda, Spencer, Webb, Davey. Sending off: Heggs

Goal: Magunda (45).

t Referee: R Johnson (Manchester)

t Attendance: 242