Scully the late hero as City U23s win 4-3 at Derby County
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Tom Scully was the last-gasp hero as Norwich City Under-23s got the first win of pre-season under their belts with a 4-3 success away to Derby County U23s.
David Wright's squad had lost 1-0 to the first team of German fourth-tier side Lippstadt while in Germany, 3-1 away to Colchester United U23s and then 2-1 against the first team of League Two side Leyton Orient on Saturday.
They had to come from behind twice at Derby's training ground though. Dan Adshead followed up a parried Aiden Fitzpatrick shot to claim an early lead but the Rams went in front in the 28th minute.
Scottish winger Fitzpatrick chased through and lashed a low shot in to equalise in the 36th minute and also saw a shot tipped onto the post before the break.
Derby reclaimed the lead in the 63rd minute but striker Gassan Ahadme fired into the roof of the net within a minute for 3-3 after good work from right-back Jordan Thomas, after Scully had slipped him into the penalty area.
Former Everton midfielder Scully then took advantage of a poor goal-kick to curl in the winner from the edge of the box in the 89th minute.
You may also want to watch:
City's U23s conclude their pre-season fixtures with a friendly away to Dutch second-tier side Dordrecht on Saturday, where Greek midfielder Savvas Mourogs is returning for another loan spell after recovering from a long-term knee injury.
Their Premier League Two campaign then begins with a home clash against Swansea at Colney on Friday, August 9 (7pm).
- 1 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 2 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 6 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 8 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 9 'Champagne on ice' - City set for Carrow Road celebration next week
- 10 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day