Derby win is fab finale for Thetford

THETFORD Town completed a great Ridgeons Division One season with at least a top-six finish after a 3-1 win at local rivals Swaffham Town.

Swaffham Town 1, Thetford Town 3

Town with a strong wind on their backs had early chances through Blake and Richards but the game settled down with play contained mostly in midfield with both teams looking for the break.

Town had a good chance on 25 minutes when Dixon shot wide. Town took the lead on 40 minutes when a Blake free-kick went through the wall and beat the keeper.

Town then increased their lead just before the break when Mann flicked a header to Blake who went round the keeper to score.

Town, facing a strong wind, saw Swaffham apply more pressure and they pulled a goal back on 55 minutes when Jackson scored with a first-time shot.

Soon after they then hit the crossbar but Town weathered the pressure and the defence, well marshalled by Richards, Joseph, Carter and Bailey stood firm.

Most Read

Town continued to look dangerous on the attack and Jones had a good chance to increase Town’s lead but shot over the bar.

Town finally sealed the points on 90 minutes when a good run and finish by Joseph saw him score a well-deserved goal.

Thetford: Bowden, Joseph, Richards, Carter, Bailey, Jones (Piggott), Howard, Mann (Fancett), O’Donnell, Dixon. Mann.

Thetford Town 5, Cornard United 0

THETFORD completed their home fixtures with a comfortable 5-0 win over Cornard United on Saturday.

A good cross from Fancett found Mann who shot from close range but it was saved.

Town opened the scoring on seven minutes when good work from Joseph found Fancett whose left-foot shot from the edge of the area gave the keeper no chance.

Town continued to create chances but Cornard also had their moments and Bowden was called into action, tipping over and then saving another shot well.

Richards went close with a header, and Dixon had a header just wide from a Joseph cross. Cornard again saw Bowden save well but Town increased their lead just before the break when good work from Fancett found Dixon who turned a defender and slotted the ball home from an acute angle.

Town continued to apply pressure with Dixon going close. Cornard had a chance just before Skipp had a close- range effort brilliantly saved by the Walker. Blake then had an effort saved.

Town increased their lead when Dixon was brought down in the area and he took the kick, sending the keeper the wrong way. Soon after, Town had their fourth and Dixon completed his hat-trick when a cross from O’Donnell found Dixon who netted.

Blake completed the scoring on 90 minutes with a lob.